Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

For your review, one of my favorite high polish, early production P38's. After the German army finished testing the 0 series, Walter went into production of the P38 for the military, removing the Walther logo and replacing it with the secret 480 code.

Mark

Download Attachment: 0Seriesred.jpg
181.74KB

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mark,

Beautiful early high polish P38. Wonderful photos--you really got the photographing angle figured out for pistols. What would one expect to pay for a early P38 high polish model? I know they are not cheap but what would be a ball park range for one? I really need to find a early one (maybe not as early as yours) to add to my collection. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lloyd,

Thanks for the compliment on my photo's, in just the last few years the prices for quality high polish, early guns has gone up. I think the internet with the auction sites has driven the prices. However, I think a nice AC 41 with a matched mag or two (70,000 made) will still run about $1,850.00 with earlier guns going for a lot more. The trouble is finding one! The third variation 0 series had 10,000 guns made, many I have seen are either in bad condition or "dipped". Not that a "dipped" gun is bad but for one of the quality you are looking for will draw the premium prices.

Hmmmmm, what does a nice Luger cost?

Mark

P.S. I bought this AC 41 about two years ago for $1,650.00. The bluing on the barrel is a little thin and the right slide has an area that is thin. I purchased the gun because it had the two mags. The grips on the second variation are not numbered to the gun but have the e/359 acceptance stamp in them.

Download Attachment: AC412mags.jpg
151.41 KB

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ted,

You are the man! That K date that you restored for me is one of my nicest pistols. Also, your Thor (hidden) marking on these guns insures the fact that your excellent work will not be used to turn a huge profit by unethical individuals.

A case in point, all of the high polish P38 guns will have the e/s and last e/359 marking on the right slide stamped after the gun was blued, the first e/359 will be blued over since that acceptance stamp was put on the pistol when the slide was "in the white". If you look at these markings and don't see the crown of "white" around those markings, where it was struck on the high polish blue, the gun has been refinished.

E mail me if you have any questions, [email protected]

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.