Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member 2012
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During 1921 Walther Firearms introduced the Walther Model 9 series of pistols. I have decided to celebrate by posting a ten minute video on Youtube in which I show some pretty remarkable very early production Model 9s. Here is the link:

I am attaching a few pictures of some first-year-of-production Model 9 pistols. I have three very nice examples with the earliest features of the Model 9. Serial numbers 413547, 413748, and 414624. It is a treat to have three of these very early 1921 pistols together.

All three pistols have the magazine well that extends to the very bottom at the front. It turns out that this makes removal of the magazine difficult, and so after 418XXX +/- Walther began relieving the bottom edge to access the "fingernail groove" in front edge of the magazine on all Model 9s.

The earliest magazines all have plain flat bottoms and there is no hole in the lower left side of the magazine for punching out the tab on the right side of the magazine which seats to the frame. These early magazines must have been difficult to manufacture. Typical Model 9 magazines have a hole in the lower left side.

I also have a beautiful Model 9 with nickel finish and mother-of-pearl grips, plus a blue finish and a gold-wash finish factory engraved "deluxe" Model 9, all first year of production.

I regret that the pictures are so poor. I will try to get some better pictures to post later. For now, however, I hope you will join me in celebrating the century mark for the Model 9.

I hope you enjoy the video...

Earl
1921 early Model 9s in boxes.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
During 1921 Walther Firearms introduced the Walther Model 9 series of pistols. I have decided to celebrate by posting a ten minute video on Youtube in which I show some pretty remarkable very early production Model 9s. Here is the link:

I am attaching a few pictures of some first-year-of-production Model 9 pistols. I have three very nice examples with the earliest features of the Model 9. Serial numbers 413547, 413748, and 414624. It is a treat to have three of these very early 1921 pistols together.

All three pistols have the magazine well that extends to the very bottom at the front. It turns out that this makes removal of the magazine difficult, and so after 418XXX +/- Walther began relieving the bottom edge to access the "fingernail groove" in front edge of the magazine on all Model 9s.

The earliest magazines all have plain flat bottoms and there is no hole in the lower left side of the magazine for punching out the tab on the right side of the magazine which seats to the frame. These early magazines must have been difficult to manufacture. Typical Model 9 magazines have a hole in the lower left side.

I also have a beautiful Model 9 with nickel finish and mother-of-pearl grips, plus a blue finish and a gold-wash finish factory engraved "deluxe" Model 9, all first year of production.

I regret that the pictures are so poor. I will try to get some better pictures to post later. For now, however, I hope you will join me in celebrating the century mark for the Model 9.

Earl View attachment 648138
Earl,

Earl, just an excellent presentation.....well worth watching and waiting for the next one!!!!
Thanks for showing,
Joe

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nice video Sir. Beautiful guns and a very nice presentation. Many thanks for sharing!!!

·
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to you fellows for your support. This video is just a start. This summer I plan to provide more videos exploring various Model 8 and Model 9 related topics in greater detail. I would appreciate any suggestions for topics to present.

Earl

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks to you fellows for your support. This video is just a start. This summer I plan to provide more videos exploring various Model 8 and Model 9 related topics in greater detail. I would appreciate any suggestions for topics to present.

Earl
Amazing presentation Earl. I look forward to your future holster and production variant videos.

Alec

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
US has suspended importing pistol of this size for long time,,, how did 100-year-anniversary edition come, is that a myth? Carried back by diplomats?

·
Registered
30 Posts

great job Earl! As always, first class.

·
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
US has suspended importing pistol of this size for long time,,, how did 100-year-anniversary edition come, is that a myth? Carried back by diplomats?
Alvin, I do not believe I made any reference to a 100th anniversary EDITION. The Walther Model 9 pistols I present here are all a hundred years old. All of these pistols arrived in the US sometime between 1921 and probably 1950, except British proofed pistol which may have come a little later. There is no way to know exactly when they arrived, but I am sure that all examples shown were already in the US prior to 1968. I hope that this clarifies your question.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is question. I have 3 model 9’s. None would fire a commercial cartridge. The firing pin spring is too weak. Put in a stronger spring and the gun would not cock. Has anybody ever got one to fire?

·
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is question. I have 3 model 9’s. None would fire a commercial cartridge. The firing pin spring is too weak. Put in a stronger spring and the gun would not cock. Has anybody ever got one to fire?
GeorgeF,
Wolff Gunsprings sell replacement striker and recoil spring sets: https://www.gunsprings.com/WALTHER/MODEL 9/cID1/mID70/dID313
I suggest that you purchase new, proper springs for your Walther Model 9 pistols. After installation leave the pistol cocked for a couple days to let the springs gain their "set". Then you should be good to go with any standard 25acp 50gr FMJ ammunition. NOTE: Do Not Dry Fire your Model 9 pistols without first opening the slide bolt to relieve pressure on the striker. Original strikers are prone to break when dry fired and they are very expensive to replace.

Let us know how it turns out with firing your Model 9s. It would be great if you would share pictures and details about your trio of tiny Walther pistols.

Earl

·
Registered
14 Posts
GeorgeF,
Wolff Gunsprings sell replacement striker and recoil spring sets: https://www.gunsprings.com/WALTHER/MODEL 9/cID1/mID70/dID313
I suggest that you purchase new, proper springs for your Walther Model 9 pistols. After installation leave the pistol cocked for a couple days to let the springs gain their "set". Then you should be good to go with any standard 25acp 50gr FMJ ammunition. NOTE: Do Not Dry Fire your Model 9 pistols without first opening the slide bolt to relieve pressure on the striker. Original strikers are prone to break when dry fired and they are very expensive to replace.

Let us know how it turns out with firing your Model 9s. It would be great if you would share pictures and details about your trio of tiny Walther pistols.

Earl
Thank you for the information i am ordering a spring kit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts