Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serial No. 6160. My question is that the takedown lever is stamped '60'
on the left side. On putting this Test Luger under a Nikon Comparator
I found that the '60' on the takedown lever is the same size & the charactors are identical with the last to digits of the serial numbers
on the barrel & frame #6160. Is this a possibility that it might have been stamped that way in error regarding the statement that the last two numbers of the serial number were stamped on the right side?
The wood bottom magazine is DWM proofed.
Any information on this would be very much appreciated.
Bill

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
That is indeed an oddity. The lowest serial number that I have recorded having the takedown numbered on the left side is 7108, which was part of the Bannerman purchase. Numbering on the left flat is a characteristic that seems to be unique to those 1900 Lugers that have the earmarks of US Test Trial pieces but are serial numbered above 7100. Other than these "above the range" model 1900 Lugers I have not observed or had reported any other Lugers with the takedown marked on the left side until the advent of the military style marking on the model 1908 Army. Your Luger does fall outside the norm and since it is about 1000 numbers below other so marked pieces, it seems strange for it to have been stamped that way in error. I would really like to know if anyone else has or has observed another below 7100.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Bill,

There is a range of 1900 American Eagle Lugers having the primary characteristics of Test Eagles (no GERMANY, no proofs) which have the takedown serial# stamped on the left face. All my reported samples between 7108 and 7735 have this numbering (one is a Swiss Commercial). Your gun is a thousand numbers below this range, near the front of the "in-range" pistols.

Guns above 4684 seem to be reliable numbered on the right round end. A plausable explanation requires the acceptance of "above the range" Test Eagles as authentic.

Test Eagles had a hard life, and it is known that parts were appropriated from some guns to keep others in service. There are potentially 6 takedown levers within the face-numbered range which could have been cannibalized for your Luger and maintain its number integrity.

This is highly speculative. One could fairly wonder at the coincidence or the intent to maintain the number match. One might imagine other reasons for this, I merely suggest one.

--Dwight

Heh, Ron, you beat me to this one...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron & Dwight,
Thanks for the information. It has all the other characteristics of a Test Eagle as you mentioned. I will wait and see if anyone else has observed this irregularity. It had me concerned
so that is why I put it under a Nikon comparator for observation.
Thanks again fellows.
Bill

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
I've been trying to post photos of this Test Luger but they will not post. The lowest Jepg is 56KB & the highest is 220KB. As I'm a novice with this camera does anyone have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong or maybe suggest some type of correction for this problem.
Thanking you in advance.
Bill

Download Attachment: 139.jpg
78.67 KB

Download Attachment: 144.jpg
174.76 KB

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
I've been trying to post photos of this Test Luger but they will not post. The lowest Jepg is 56KB & the highest is 220KB. As I'm a novice with this camera does anyone have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong or maybe suggest some type of correction for this problem.
Thanking you in advance.
Bill

78.67 KB

174.76 KB

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Bill, how are you trying to post them?

Ensure the camera uploads the pictures to your computer first, then you can upload from their to here.

Ensure you use REPLY TO TOPIC and then use upload. Wait until it tells you it loaded it, then do the next, and the next. Ensure that your cursor is where you want the pictures to go, if the cursor is by the word post above, it will post there.

Ensure they don't have any special charectors, OR spaces in the image title.

Ed

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Bill, how are you trying to post them?

Ensure the camera uploads the pictures to your computer first, then you can upload from their to here.

Ensure you use REPLY TO TOPIC and then use upload. Wait until it tells you it loaded it, then do the next, and the next. Ensure that your cursor is where you want the pictures to go, if the cursor is by the word post above, it will post there.

Ensure they don't have any special charectors, OR spaces in the image title.

Ed

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ed,
The pictures are uploaded in the computer as that's how I know what the JPEG's are. I try to get the pictures uploaded for posting but that's as far as they go. "Sever error" after a length of time.
There are no special characters or spaces in the image title. I don't understand it as I posted pictures of the Vicker's Dutch Luger a week or so ago without any problem.
Thanks for your interest in my problem.
Bill

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed,
The pictures are uploaded in the computer as that's how I know what the JPEG's are. I try to get the pictures uploaded for posting but that's as far as they go. "Sever error" after a length of time.
There are no special characters or spaces in the image title. I don't understand it as I posted pictures of the Vicker's Dutch Luger a week or so ago without any problem.
Thanks for your interest in my problem.
Bill

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ed,
I have changed the JPEG's on the pictures and tested them on the site and now I can post 15 out of the 17 of them. I'll retake those 2 tomorrow. After I assure myself that I can post all of them I will do so. Thanks for your interest and help on my damn camera problem.
Can you delete the 2 current postings without deleting the posting dated 02/03/05 as those 2 might be confusing to other members.
Bill

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ed,
I have changed the JPEG's on the pictures and tested them on the site and now I can post 15 out of the 17 of them. I'll retake those 2 tomorrow. After I assure myself that I can post all of them I will do so. Thanks for your interest and help on my damn camera problem.
Can you delete the 2 current postings without deleting the posting dated 02/03/05 as those 2 might be confusing to other members.
Bill

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You'll notice that I first posted this 1900 U.S. Test Luger on 02/23/05 but I didn't have camera capability. Now that I have it I'm posting photos of this Luger. Information for notes 12 & 13 in the description on the lid were supplied by R. Shattuck though it was not purchased from him. I purchased it about 9 years from a dealer.
I welcome any comments, opinions or questions either negative and/or positive in relation to this Luger.
17 photos of the Luger & accoutrements attached.
*Photo 14 of the DWM proof on the bottom of the magazine is the best I could do because it is so small.

1 Top of case

78.66KB

2 Cased set

Download Attachment: 140.jpg
133.73KB

3 Luger & accoutrements

Download Attachment: 141.jpg
136.92KB

4 Description label on lid

Download Attachment: 142.jpg
111.49KB

5 Right side of Luger

Download Attachment: 143.jpg
96.46KB

6 Top of Luger

174.76KB

7 Bottom of barrel & receiver

Download Attachment: 145.jpg
155.64KB

8 Ser. No. on barrel & frame

Download Attachment: 146.jpg
147.52KB

9 Stamp on rear toggle link

Download Attachment: 147.jpg
146.62KB

10 Locking bolt - Left side

Download Attachment: 148.jpg
80.08KB

11 Stamp on trigger

Download Attachment: 149.jpg
102.44KB

12 Stamp on bottom of side plate

Download Attachment: 150.jpg
58.59KB

13 Grip safety

Download Attachment: 151.jpg
85.94KB

*14 DWM proof on bottom of magazine

Download Attachment: 152.jpg
116.83KB

15 Holster - Original R.I.A. front & lanyard

Download Attachment: 153.jpg
87.33KB

16 Holster - back

Download Attachment: 154.jpg
60.71KB

17 Stampings on back of holster

Download Attachment: 155.jpg
156.58KB

Thanks for looking,
Bill

·
Registered
14,177 Posts
Bill,

The font of the "60" on the TD lever seems a bit different than the other "60" stampings...

The polished area under the thumb safety lever looks a bit narrow and flat along its top side...is there a slight cut to the polished area ?

The lower left portion of the Eagle on the chamber looks like it lost some definition and depth of the roll-died stamping. This sometimes indicates a previous refinish of the gun.

I do not see much fire-blue left on various parts...one would expect to see more surviving in a gun with such a strong overall finish, IMO.

Case is modern-day...maybe one of the ones Ken Coyle from Oregon crafts.

Some of the Shattuck info. in your # 12 and # 13 are dated and probably not accurate today...Ron Wood's Test Eagle list and even M. Reese's book 25 years ago had more than 90 known TE's...:)

Did this rig come assembled or did you pull all the items together ? That holster is a real find !

Finally...the tough question...did this luger come out of Burnsville, MN ?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pete,
1- No step or cut in polished area.
2- I should have checked my M. Reese book as I have it.
3- Purchased case & accoutrements at various places & gun shows over a period of time.
4- It came from Burnsville, MN !! (never again)
I appreciate your interest and info on this Luger and I really enjoy this site. In my years of collecting I never had such an appreciation for you and the forum members who have now opened my eyes to many things.
Thanks again,
Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.