Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have located two 1903 French ??? Lugers, consecutive serials. For sale apparently only as pair. Any input??????/ I was not aware of their existance. Same party also has 1906 French.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Heckinohio,

I am conducting a survey of early commercial serial range Lugers, and these three guns sound like important additions. I'd appreciate knowing:

Full serial numbers (no xx's, please)
Proof marks, or lack of them
Whether or not there is a GERMANY export mark
Swiss cross on the barrel, or no
Does the grip safety go halfway across the rear grip strap, or is it full width?
Is the thumb safety lever crosshatched or grooved?
Calber?
Where is the takedown lever serial number stamped?

If you would prefer not to post all the data here (particularly the serial numbers) please email it to me, [email protected] .

"1903 French" Lugers have distinct characteristics. Could you tell us, what is stamped on the left side of the extractor? Is there a toggle lock on the right toggle grip? Are the toggles dished, or checkered flat? Is the recoil spring flat, or coil? How long is the barrel, and what it its profile--pencil? "normal"? thick? Is the top of the rear toggle piece flush with the tops of the receiver extension, or raised? Is there evidence of a toggle coupling link retaining pin? Are there any marks on the receiver top? Are there any marks you see which specifically describe the guns a French?

If you could post the serial numbers here it would be very useful, as 1903 French are in a very specific serial# range.

What characteristics of the 1906 identify it as French?

Thanks in advance for the info.

--Dwight

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I anxiously await additional details on these Lugers. As others have posted, "consecutive serial numbers" is very little to go on. What is the serial number range, and what are the answers to Dwight's questions on the mechanical details? Futher input requires further information.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If you buy the book "Le luger un pistolet de légende" ; you have one 1903 french :

No date
Recoil spring flat
Toggle rigourous like the real 1904 marine with toggle coupling link retaining pin
Extractor with little ears wrote "CHARGé"
Barrel in 7.65 para and 10 cm like 1902 german test so fat
Frame like 1902 but short
No stamp only like the cercle with triangle like portugal in the portion of frame where is the take down lever
No Gesichert like 1900
The number describe is about 25019

It seems to be in Belgian collection

The book is on eBay but the price is over 15$ new in the shop look at :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79244&item=6129888709&rd=1

Best regards Pat

G

·
Eric Bruning, Esq I bought the 1906 FRENCH,Variation with identical inscriptions "francais d'armes & cycles," the serial number is 51873 and like the 1903 similar version, produced as custom orders and as selling samples as he had done and made similiar selling specimin, ie the russian with their symbol , their mosin rifle, as the vere custom ordered, there are at least 3 variation of the 06 rather 08 that im awaare, The 1906 in HEROTIN on p102, dispays the fleur insciption, similar to other early custum inscription, like 'GL'The known serial listed in messr herotins' work, on page 98, is #25013,25019,25024,25031 and 25035, he cites a serial num range of #25064-38776, If anyone beleive me in error, I promise that the detective work is most of the fun, et merci tout amie en france, eric, esq [email protected]/ email ill send pics

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.