Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yakman is correct. The 1891 German proof laws required the Crown/G ("Gezogen" for rifled) to be applied only to a rifled barrel. It should not appear on any other part. The BUG proofs were replaced at approximately serial number 53,000 with a Crown/N.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, I have now handled the gun from my dealer and attached pics (hopefully). It has BU on side and yes BUG on underside of barrel. It has no Gesichert marking but has no blueing under the lever also has a loaded chamber indicator. I believe this to be 100% correct 06 Commercial. Your thoughts?
Cheers. in anticipation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It does appear to be a correct model 1906 commercial. The polished bright area under the safety lever lower position is correct and so are the proofs. It does show some wear and corrosion plus the "million dollar" chip out of the grip behind the safety. If the grip safety spring is OK and it has a decent bore, it would be a nice enough example IF the price is right

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I generally avoid the "million" description, I patch these chips for $40. Extensive clean-up in the checkering will naturally run higher.
rc
It's a commonly used term and like the "idiot scratch" on a 1911; hyperbole and not meant to be taken literally. A proper repair of the chip is easily worth $40.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a commonly used term and like the "idiot scratch" on a 1911; hyperbole and not meant to be taken literally. A proper repair of the chip is easily worth $40.
Thanks again for info. I paid here in Australia $1800 USD, what would you pay in the US for an example as mine?
Also, did they produce a model 1906 with Gesichert marking ?
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Thanks again for info. I paid here in Australia $1800 USD, what would you pay in the US for an example as mine?
Also, did they produce a model 1906 with Gesichert marking ? Cheers.
If all matching and a good bore, $1800 US isn't out of reason but is toward the high end IMO. To the best of my knowledge, no 1906 models were ever marked "Gesichert". I've owned Swiss, American Eagle and Portuguese models 1906 Lugers and all have had the bright area that when exposed designated "safe". But, anything is possible with Lugers so I won't commit to a firm "no". The model 1904 Navy Luger did have "Gesichert" on it but that was likely required by the Navy..

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The earliest New Model long-frame 7,65mm commercials are frequently found with GESICHERT safeties, in the range of sn 25184-26740 or so. They are always long frame .30 cal., and can be Commercial, Swiss, or American Eagle. They are never short-frame 9mm. The distribution seems random. Best guess is that they were originally made for P04 Navy production, and diverted to commercial use as were the P04 Navy Commercials.

--Dwight

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The earliest New Model long-frame 7,65mm commercials are frequently found with GESICHERT safeties, in the range of sn 25184-26740 or so. They are always long frame .30 cal., and can be Commercial, Swiss, or American Eagle. They are never short-frame 9mm. The distribution seems random. Best guess is that they were originally made for P04 Navy production, and diverted to commercial use as were the P04 Navy Commercials. --Dwight
And that's exactly why I did not want to say definitely that none exist as Dwight has provided proof that they do. I just haven't encountered one personally. As soon as one makes a claim that something in the Luger world doesn't exist, someone proves that they do. LOL

I do have a reworked Frankenschloss Luger that was built on a long frame Navy 1904 model that has "Gesichert". That, of course, is not a 1906 commercial but illustrates the 1904 long frames that Dwight mentions.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Not to get pedantic, but...

What you have here is a conversion based on an actual P04 Navy "first issue altered" frame--the safety converted to work the opposite direction, the original lower GESICHERT being obliterated and replaced with the mark in the upper position. What I am talking about is the GESICHERT remaining in the original, lower position. Although the Navy changed the requirement, and altered the existing pistols in dockyard armories, the commercial pistols did not follow suit and are only found with the lower-position GESICHERT.

--Dwight

sn 28148:

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Dwight, thank you. I'm not as familiar with the 1904 Navy as I probably should be. I'll check my Franjenschloss when I have the chance and see if there's any trace of the lower marking remaining.

The 1906 is, in my mind, the most elegant of all Lugers and the one you have is a beauty in spite of the ding on the grip. Truly nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts