Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to the Luger forums and am relatively new to any of the forums. I was very impressed with the quality of discussion that I saw on this forum and decided to see if I could narrow down exactly what I have. Several years ago, I bought a “better than average” Luger from a friend who was disposing of his rather extensive collection. He sold the gun to me as a “1906 Navy Commercial” but has since said that it was not a “Commercial”. I have been a Colt collector, basically Woodsman’s, but know practically nothing about Luger’s. At present, I don’t have the ability to post pictures and will therefore try to describe my Luger as best as I can.
Barrel: 6” barrel. On the under side; Crown/B on the left, Crown/G on the right and Crown/J (possibly ”U”?) below them, “118,35” below that and S/N right next to slide. Indexing marks on barrel/slide. Barrel shows good rifling but some pitting.
Slide: Barrel end, left side, Crown/B and a Crown/U under that, “52” on lug under frame.
Toggle: Barrel end link: left side, Crown/B, and “52”; Middle link: top, “DWM”; left side, “Crown/U”; and underneath, “52”, “N” in a “V”, and a very light “5”; Rear link; Navy style rear sight w/100 & 200 m marks, ”52” under sight.
Frame: S/n 47252 on front under barrel. “52” on trigger lug. “52” on takedown lever, “52” on side plate, “52” under left stock. Lots of old cosmoline in the main spring cavity.
Magazine: Walnut bottom lug with “Cal 9m/m” and “47252”.
Safety: Unaltered - “Safe-Up” “Gesichert”
Condition: One very small “ding” on right of barrel, small scratch on side plate and approx. 96% - 98% of bluing remaining. Very nice gun!
I have “The Luger Book” by John Walter, but find it quite difficult. Any suggestions for a better book would be appreciated.
What do I have? Approx. value? I would appreciate any help. Thanks! Regards, Steelsmith

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Thomas, welcome to the forum. Jan Still's books are good ones for all around coverage. Walters books are fun to read and have a lot of info, but not easy to use.

I live just south of Denver...

Ed

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Steelsmith

Welcome to the forum, your description better fits the reported examples of the 1908 Navy commercial, does the luger have a stock lug.

The B.U.G. proofs are commercial as is the 118,35 also the 5 digit serial number.

Does the magazine bottom have the concentric circles on the sides.

You will find very few people that will stick their neck out and say yes for sure as the Navy is a desirable piece and the fakes are out there.

Pictures are an absolute must unless you have someone in your area that can do a hands on examination to say for sure that it is authentic.

Would be interesting to know why your friend stated that the luger is not a commercial given the proofs and serial number range.

Also for sure is the barrel in 9mm caliber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello LugerLou. Appreciate your reply to my posting. Yes, the gun does have the stock lug on the rear. Yes, the magazine does have the concentric circles on the sides and yes, it is a 9mm.
The gun also has a "lanyard ring" or "horizontal lanyard bar" on the frame just above the grip safety. The take-down lever, trigger, magazine release button and the safety lever are all slightly straw colored. The take-down lever, magazine release button, toggle knuckle and sight adjustment button are all checkered; while the safety lever has horizontal lines on it. The magazine is glossy black with the walnut base; also, the magazine loading button is checkered. My spare magazine is silver colored and has none of the markings or circles.
As to question (or hint) of it being a fake; as you can tell, I am (self confessed) by no means a "Luger Expert" or even close to it. I have, however, been through well over 250 Colt Woodsman's, and various other guns, and am not really a green neophyte to gun collecting. If this gun is indeed a fake, it is by far the best fake that I have ever seen. The entire gun just "fits together" too well (I think).
Again LugerLou, Many Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate your taking the time to come back to my post. Respectfully, Steelsmith

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Steelsmith

The part of the luger being a fake was to imply that without pictures and a closeup examination it is difficult to say with any degree of accuracy that the luger is authentic.

The fact that you now disclose a grip safety rules out the luger being a 1908 Navy commercial.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LugerLou: Boy, this would be so much easier if I could just supply pictures! You just keep feeding me questions, please, and I'll keep giving you answeres as best as I can. Thanks Much. Steelsmith

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The full S/N is in two places. 1.) On the underside of the barrel just where it screws into the slide, but on the round barrel, between the "118,35" and the slide. 2.) It again appears just below that, on the very front end of the frame, immediately below the little rectangular cutout just below the barrel but on the frame (perhaps I am misusing the words "Receiver" and "Frame").
Yes, the word "GESICHERT" is covered up when the thumb safety is in the lower (Fire) position. It is in upper-case letters with the "G" being bigger than the rest of the word.

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Well, I don't have that problem, I can show you how to take good pictures. But I will be out of town next week. Maybe we can get together when I get back? I am the guy that e-mailed you from south of Denver.

Ed

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Steelsmith

Sir, you have provided a very good description of your luger and answered all question's asked in a timely fashion, this has been helpfull as from your initial description I thought that the serial was on the side of the frame in military fashion and this posed a problem.

Here's what you have,grip safety, full serial number on barrel and front of frame.Small parts strawed and proofed with last two digits of the serial number in commercial fashion (hidden).

Commercial B.U.G. proofs on the underside of barrel and the 118,35. Six inch barrel (navy) with the two position rear navy sight.( 100 and 200 meter increments). Thumb safety with Geischert in the lower position safe in the up position (geischert meaning safe in german).

Magazine serialed to the luger with script 9mm concentric circles and a "glossy black base.your quote"

Based on your own firearm's knowledge on the colt you have a very fine 1906 Navy commercial luger.Serial number 47252. The known range reported by Kenyon is between 25050-65000

The fact that your friend the seller now states that you do not own a 1906 commercial is still puzzling, he's seen the gun and I haven't but based on your description and the recorded serial numbers the luger fit's the serial range listed for the 1906 Navy commercial.

I have nothing further to add, however when you figure out the camera and post pictures of your luger it will be appreciated

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LugerLou: I really appreciate your patience and prompting me for the information that you needed. Thanks So Much. A point of clarification; The magazine is glossy black and the knob or lug is wood, i.e.: Walnut.
I bought the gun out of my friends collection. He is 80 years old and has been collecting Lugers "since he was 15". I think that he was confusing this gun with some of the others he had on the table (perhaps I was the confused one). My parameters to him were: I wanted to own "just one" Luger, I wanted it out of his (my friends) collection and I wanted it to be a "good" one. Upon his recommendation, as stated, I originally bought it as a "1906 Navy Commercial" and, apparently, that's what I have.
I'm beginning to feel that "just one" Luger is kind of hard to own - this one is screaming for a Girl Friend. My! What a fine, fine piece of equipment this gun is! The design, milling, fabricating and Craftsmanship are truly outstanding. Is this "Lugeritis"?
Thanks Again - Steelsmith

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Steelsmith,

You have a very fine and desirable Luger for your first acquisition, congratulations. Your description is very detailed, and provides much information useful for my early Commercial-series Luger database. Can I assume that it does -not- have GERMANY stamped anywhere on the gun?

--Dwight

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Steelsmith

You have happened onto what luger collectors refer to as a luger nest.Your old friend has undoubtly some very fine lugers that would be considered unmessed with .

These are the kinds of fellows you want to buy from in that the collections have been out of circulation and piques everyones curiosity.This takes nothing away from the other fine examples that are out there for sale.

And yes you have the bug, if you think that one will suffice you are wrong, most collectors that I know drive old vehicles as they have their priorities straight, the luger comes before the car.

When you consider the age of the luger and that most parts were milled rather than forged you truly have a work of art, the old world craftsmanship on both sides of the Atlantic-- North America and Europe is hard to beat.

Good luck on the next three or four.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! What an overwhelming response to my quest for information - I am truly impressed.

Dwight: Correct, I did not see "Germany" anywhere on the gun. Thanks for the kind words regarding my description. But to give credit where credit is due, LugerLou prompted me and "fished" for the information that was needed.

Luger Lou: If I buy many more Lugers like this one, I'm afraid my "most cherished" wife will divorce me. Now let me see -- which do I value most -- (as Jack Benny would say) "I'm Thinking - I'm Thinking"! Concerning the "Luger Nest". I see my old friend quite often; Trouble is, he understands my weaknesses and Damned-well knows what his guns are worth - much better than I do. Again, Thanks Very Much for your help - REALLY appreciate it!

Pete: I don't have quite that much in it. However, for as much as I have "fallen-in-love" with this fine piece of "Old World Craftsmanship", I think that it would take figures like that to pry it away from me.

A couple of questions remain. 1.) Does anyone else have realistic estimates as to the value of this gun? 2.) Can you give me a fairly accurate time and place of manufacture Thanks for all of the informative and timely responses to my inquiry. Steelsmith

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.