Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering purchasing what I believe is a "commercial' 1906 Navy.
(Most of my Lugers are Imperial P08s, Weimar and WWII era made militaries.
I know close to zip about the Navy lugers !!!!!)

I believe it's a commercial as it doesn't have any of the Navy acceptance stamps, it has a crown/B, crown/U and a crown/G on the under side of the barrel.
Serial number is: 47xxx, all matching numbers.
In addition to the serial number, the barrel also has 118,35 stamped just above it. Both sets of numbers have the "halos".

It appears to be in it's original finish, at approx 95+%. Grips are un-numbered but appear to be correct.

My questions.........
-Who would have purchased this "commercial" gun?
-When approximately was it made?
-German Military service?
-And I know this is a tough one without pictures, but on the assumption this is a 95% original and correct pistol, is $4000 OTD a reasonable price?

Thanks, Ned

Attachments

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,021 Posts
Sounds like an 06 commercial not a Navy. What kind of rear sight does it have?

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,021 Posts
Well, That is sounding kind of Navy like! Certainly not military but Navy configuration. Grip safety? Stock lug?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Typical "commercial navy". Fairly early. 1909-1911? These were sold commercially. I don't think it would be a private officer purchase, as they usually went for smaller guns. Looks all original except for the extra added numbers on the right frame ear. At $4000, it is pretty much retail for the condition it is in and taking those added numbers into account.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
DWM "Navy Commercial" (P04 commercial). These were standard P04 navy pistols manufactured for civilian sale, hence the c/BUG proofs. They were originally sold with the full accessory complement of shoulder stock and attached holster. Sn 47252 was probably produced some time in 1911. It has been known for a long time, being reported in the progenitor list of the Commercial Database.

It has no relationship to "officer private purchase." This was an army program. The navy operated under its own regulations, and there is no record of a corresponding navy program.

--Dwight

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have 47272 & 51306 w/BUG. #51306 is a complete rig including sheet metal belt clip on the shoulder strap. & three "Cal.9MM" mags. I guess I need a C/N version now. I looked at Simsons '06 comm. Navies several times, called twice. They were BUG's. Mags with one were a problem, just could make the price on the other. I like his unaltered mil. really well. He has a "'20 Commercial w/stock" I foolishly turned one down at $5000 last year..... can't get 'em all. I have supposedly aged out anyway......

Donna putting the pressure on to buy some machine guns this morning.

PJH

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hmmmmmmm.....do I detect a logical way to remedy this situation....??????......Naaaa...to easy. Best you buy a BUG and I buy a C/N!! Far more satisfying.

Or better, perhaps I can get a quantity discount at Simpsons and pass the discounted BUG to you.????

PJH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts