Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this in the past without anyone willing to venture a guess but I've been asked by my insurance provider to provide something in the way of a value for this Luger. Even a hunch would be appreciated.

This 1906 DWM Luger was left to me by my father who had obtained it in post-war Japan when he was part of the occupation forces under MacArthur. The barrel has been “dinged” in what I believe was an attempt to decommission it. I fired it back in the early 1970s and it’s very inaccurate. We used to play “Army” with it when we were kids in the 60s.
I was given some history of it at a gun show in Birmingham, Alabama, back in 1985 and recently read a much more thorough one online.

Due to its rarity, I imagine that it’s probably worth more than what I’ve assumed and will need to purchase insurance for it. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate as to its worth?
This pistol was a gift from my now deceased father and I have no intention of selling it regardless of its worth.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Bob Tucker

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
btucker
Your 1906 Navy is unit marked to the German garrison in China. Most were issued to Imperial marines. The Imperial Japanese Army laid siege to Tsingtao and captured the garrison and all the armaments from the naval defenders in November of 1914. That military engagement explains how your this pistol migrated to Japan and later was acquired by your father.
The numbers stamped on the side plate, 4.83 indicate it was assigned to the 4th company, weapon number 36 of the III Seebataillon Marine Detachment. Most likely a machine gun company

Due to the unit markings, it is a desired navy Luger.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
5,351 Posts
Hi Bob,
Your 1906 Navy has had an exotic and storied history and ordinarily would be much desired by collectors. Unfortunately that dinged barrel is a real value killer. I think 5k is more than enough for insurance purposes.
Norm

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
That's a great 1st post 94-FB! Welcome to the forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts