Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a purchase of a 1906 swiss military luger. 30 luger. Serial # 8385. Need some help on the year issued. It does have a "P" on the trigger guard, if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I think the P might mean it was released from military service, sometimes there is a two digit number indicating the year. Do you have any pics? Most likely mfg in 1906, there were only like 10k made in this Swiss Army config

·
Super Moderator
3,103 Posts
The "P" was stamped when it was privatized.

It is one of the earlier ones in this DWM order. Mine is a couple of thousand later and from 1909.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
the 1906 Swiss made by DWM was provided in two series: The first series had a Swiss Cross in Sunburst chamber marking and serial numbers from 5001 to 9000 - The second series had a Swiss Cross in Shield and serial numbers from 9001 to 15915.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
According to Gortz & Sturgess, the Luger in question was one of 1500 parts kits delivered by DWM in December, 1907, and would take serial numbers up to 9000. There was a delay in assembling the parts kits until mid-1908 when W+F in Bern began the work. Yet another 1000 kits had been ordered and received. The 1000 kits delivered in 1908 had the new Cross-in-Shield emblem over the chamber and were numbered 9001 ~ 10000. All were completed by 7 December, 1908. Thus the Luger you ask about was assembled by W+F in Bern, Switzerland, in 1908. As Ron says, the Cross-in-Shield continued but only to to serial number 15215 and not 15915.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Very nice gun!

Only the magazine is not correct and comes from a Swiss Pistole 1900/06 of the W+F. The correct magazine would be one with the metal discs on the magazine base. Such a magazine should not be too difficult to find...

Alexander

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doing some more research on original magazines. It is somewhat vague on specific magazines for this year. Would a non numbered wooden plug without the metal disc be issued for this year also be considered original? I am seeing several references stating wooden unnumbered plugs are original. Anyone's thoughts please?

·
Registered
614 Posts
The $900 magazine is probably for a very early Swiss Luger 1900 with unrelieved frame - rare and expensive (No. 1 on picture below).

What you need is No. 2 on the picture - differs mainly by the magazine button. I guess in the US you should find one between 100 and 200 $ (but I am not familiar with US prices).

No. 3 is the magazine you have - numbered magazines are quite rare.

No. 4 and 5 are for a Pistole 06/29

Alexander

Font Metal Office supplies Auto part Titanium

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picked this one up from above for $1875. Won the auction. I think I did ok. Just looking for some feedback, as this is just my second luger purchase. Pics above in this thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts