Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited with a friend in Texas this last week, and he showed me a really interesting "variation". It is a 1908, hold open never modified, no normal serial numbers (none on any part), no proofs, nothing (one number, a 6 or something on an internal part), and a "serial number" on the rear of the frame.

So, not withstanding the "normal" oh it must be a lunch box special, it is either a lunch box special or a tool room example?

Download Attachment: 1908a.jpg
120.09KB

Download Attachment: 1908b.jpg
144.47KB

Download Attachment: 1908c.jpg
36.15KB

Download Attachment: 1908d.jpg
43.93KB

Download Attachment: 1908e.jpg
39.37KB

Download Attachment: 1908f.jpg
62.87KB

Download Attachment: 1908g.jpg
38.72KB

Download Attachment: 1908h.jpg
55.05KB

Download Attachment: 1908i.jpg
24.33KB

Download Attachment: 1908j.jpg
45.23KB

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E-mail sent with larger picture Dwight. I am not positive, but he told me it had no markings, but never actually asked about those two.

Ed

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dwight, I think there was a DWM, I think I had a picture of the top, but it was too blurry.

Two additional pictures of each side;

Download Attachment: 1908k.jpg
77.14 KB

Download Attachment: 1908l.jpg
96.45 KB

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ed, RJT -

A little off the topic, but those unusual grips appear to be made of wood. ? ? ?

When I first looked at the gun I just assumed that they were plastic moldings.

Have never seen this variation before.

Luke

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Interesting marks (tool?) on opposing sides of the extension just back of the barrel.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Jeez Ed,
If food was involved. I'm suprised that you even took time to post.;-D
The grips are interesting. I kind of like them. Were they on the pistol originally? Possibly another indication of a lunch box special. He hoisted everything but a set of grips, and had these made later? Although the ser# is a puzzler.
Ron

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ron Smith

Note the witness mark. None on the barrel. That tends to leads you to believe that it may be a lunch box special.
Ron,

Ed sent me a closeup of the witness mark, which the owner has allowed me to post. It appears that the tool may have been held at such an angle, and struck with such force, that it did not actually reach the barrel. It would take hands-on examination under considerable magnification to see if metal deformation/dislocation is consistent with the barrel being present or absent at the time of striking.

On the other hand, there is no reason to strike a witness mark if the barrel and receiver are not assembled together.

It is sufficiently inconclusive that I do not rule out the possibility that the barrel has been replaced. The marks on the receiver sides are, suspiciously, in the position a tool might be used to hold the receiver while wrenching on the barrel.

--Dwight

Download Attachment: TraceyWM.jpg
128.24 KB

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dwight, if a "lunch box special", then maybe a receiver that was rejected or laying around was taken? Barrel no good, so this barrel was put on it?

The bluing is not normal, and is very interesting on the magazine...

Ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got the Luger back out and will try to answer the following questions. Yes there are GESICHERT and Geladen markings, there is no witness markings on the front sight base. The grips are made of wood and were made by some woodworking craftman as the fit is excellent and are made of a good quality wood , only one small chip is missing on the upper right side rear edge were the safety is located. The grips are the reason that I originally bought the Luger as I thought that it was a parts gun and it was not until I took it apart that I realized that there were no proofs or markings any where. At a NAPCA convention in Midland Texas in the late 80's or early 90's the luger was disassembled, inspected, and discussed by a lot of interested parties and the concensus was that it was a lunch box special and that the 6 diget number was placed on the Luger here in the states as a means of identification. I have no idea what I have but it is an interesting piece and allows for lots of speculation.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hi Dwight, I see what you mean. Looks like the tool was canted to the rear. And may not have contacted the barrel.

Hi Tracy, It is a very, interesting Luger. I guess no one will ever know for certain. Mysterious!! ;)

Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.