Very nice, Eric.
I think that rig looks better with the Winter Uniform, though.🥶❄❄❄
Pat

Reactions: cirelaw

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,692 Posts
Eric,
The deck guns, on the submarine U155, in your # 4 post, second photo, appear to be very heavy caliber. I don't think I've ever seen deck guns that large on a submarine, before.
Pat

Reactions: cirelaw

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,692 Posts
Now, now, Eric,
If I thought you had put those guns on that submarine, I'd be getting up a mission to bomb your submarine pens. Ha, ha
Pat

·
Registered
200 Posts
"Eric,
The deck guns, on the submarine U155, in your # 4 post, second photo, appear to be very heavy caliber. I don't think I've ever seen deck guns that large on a submarine, before.
Pat"

Pat, I think those are 15cm (5.9 inch) deck guns.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Rich I think your right, I looked through my German artillery book by Ian Hogg and though it doesn’t really go into deck guns I think most guns posted on subs were modified field pieces. No expert here just going by what I found quickly referencing my books.
Pat I also think that large of a caliber was definitely out of the norm, maybe the Germans were experimenting with a larger gun because if I’m not mistaken surface engagements were more common during WW1 especially before the convoy system was employed. Nice pics Eric!
Jim

·
Registered
200 Posts
Photograph Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Engineering

U 151 was taken by the British and put on public exhibit in London as a trophy at the end of the war. Most photographs of her including this one from the library of Congress are from that exhibition.

·
Registered
200 Posts
U 151 above is a typo, I meant ...

U 155 was taken by the British and put on public exhibit in London as a trophy at the end of the war. Most photographs of her including this one from the library of Congress are from that exhibition.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Beautiful 1908 rig Eric and those are awesome pics! That 3rd cleaning rod from the top, is that a brass barrel?

·
Moderator - Diamond Bullet Member
German Navy 1848 -1918
2,702 Posts
The U-155 was armed with two 150 mm SK L/40 guns, originally part of the armament of the battleship SMS Zähringen.

She was an interesting boat, originally an unarmed commercial freight submarine built for a North German Lloyd shipping company and christened Deutschland. Pictures of her appear often on eBay, as she was often photographed in the US during her two commercial voyages, first to Baltimore and later to New London.

Subsequently she was commissioned into the Kaiserliche Marine as SMS U-155 and rebuilt with the two deck guns and six torpedo tubes.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read they used them for boarding! They were
Revolver Everyday carry Gun accessory Eyewear Personal protective equipment
the first with an adjustable rear sights!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts