Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1908 Navy group

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  cirelaw 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Eric,
The deck guns, on the submarine U155, in your # 4 post, second photo, appear to be very heavy caliber. I don't think I've ever seen deck guns that large on a submarine, before.
Pat

Reactions: cirelaw
#12 ·
Rich I think your right, I looked through my German artillery book by Ian Hogg and though it doesn’t really go into deck guns I think most guns posted on subs were modified field pieces. No expert here just going by what I found quickly referencing my books.
Pat I also think that large of a caliber was definitely out of the norm, maybe the Germans were experimenting with a larger gun because if I’m not mistaken surface engagements were more common during WW1 especially before the convoy system was employed. Nice pics Eric!
Jim

#18 ·
The U-155 was armed with two 150 mm SK L/40 guns, originally part of the armament of the battleship SMS Zähringen.

She was an interesting boat, originally an unarmed commercial freight submarine built for a North German Lloyd shipping company and christened Deutschland. Pictures of her appear often on eBay, as she was often photographed in the US during her two commercial voyages, first to Baltimore and later to New London.

Subsequently she was commissioned into the Kaiserliche Marine as SMS U-155 and rebuilt with the two deck guns and six torpedo tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.