Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded for a Luger last year that I am just now getting around to doing more research on.

I am not at all familiar with this fascinating subject matter. All information on the history of this piece would be appreciated.

The receiver is marked 1910 DWM.
The barrel is marked 7179 with a "c" below.
-farther down near the receiver is marked 8,34

The front strap/grip is marked 2.G.U.5.15.

The pistol has seen quite a bit of use a some point.
All serial numbers match except for the "sideplate" which has no marking. The magazine has an aluminum base, different serial number - 655 - 42.

I am very interested in overall history of pistol and the front strap markings listed above.

All information is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Westfall; 2.G.U. 5.15
This is I think;
2nd Garde-Ulanen Regiment no. 5 weapon number 15

The 8,34 on the barrel is probably 8,84 and is the diameter of the bore from land to land.

This regiment marking would fit in with Jan Still's observation that most Ulan marked P08 are 1910 dated. The sideplate may be marked on the bottom edge of the plate in small numbers following the civilian marking protocols, check. The magazine is a 25 year later part, indicating this pistol MAY have seen use in the Weimar Republic or Nazi era, or the magazine was replaced here in the states because the original had gone missing. The pistol would look more like its original state with any wood bottomed imperial era magazine. Probably set you back $85 to $100 or less if you trade yours in. If I have maade any mistakes someone will chime in. They may also know the trade in value of your magazine.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,234 Posts
I think it is 5th Garde Ulanen Regiment Stabs, or staff weapon number 15. A guard Lancer unit is rare, a staff weapon would be just that much more rare.

I would love to see photos of this pistol.

Ignore this posting as the author obviously had his head up his pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Heinz
Almost right, you left out the eskadron:
2.G.U.5.15: 2nd Garde-Ulanen Regiment, 5 Eskadron, weapon number 15.

Westafall
Excellent find of a rare unit mark. Photographs would be much appreciated. Click on the link below for more information.

* 1910 DWM, DETAILS AND WAR HISTORY Jan C Still (1910 DWM, sn4796d, 13.U.1.20, rig)
------------------------- http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=361

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,234 Posts
Lord knows what I was thinking when I posted what I did. It was during the morning so I can't blame alcohol.

Honest folks, I did this in the middle of the morning! I'm going to retract my posting as it displays me as an idiot.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Westfall, If you have digital camera capability posting pictures of your pistol on the forum wpuld be greatly appreciated. Ulans are cavalry and their pistols are very desirable. Even though their value was decreased in the trench warfare environment, they continued to be used throughout WWI and were used into WWII on the eastern front.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,234 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Heinz

Geo, I am just glad Jan straigtened us both out before Klaus caught us.
Believe me Heinz, I have heard from him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is my attempt at photos. I am working on my photography skills. I have been unable to get a clear shot of the markings. I tried the
"grease pencil" technique that I have read about. Any tips?

Download Attachment: LUGER 003.jpg
235.44KB

Download Attachment: LUGER 014.jpg
236.52KB

·
Administrator
15,525 Posts
You did pretty good. The trick is to take lots of pictures with plenty of light, natural light works the best.

Then take full resolution of smaller items further away, close up etc., until you get pictures that you like.

ed

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hi Lynn,

If you can, try photo's of the top showing the date and side views of the proofs. And especially photo's of the unit mark. Or better yet, send me the Luger. I'll take the pictures and return it to you in about 10 or 12 years.:-D

Ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello All,

I plan to give it a better try this week. I may bring it into work where I have access to better cameras and people with photography skill. What is usually used to highlight (whiten) the serial numbers, etc.... I tried using a white grease pencil with limited success.

Thanks,
Westfall

·
Registered
6 Posts
Picking up this thread 10 years later.

I got married and had a son and just now, 10 years later, had time to get back to learning about my Luger. I'm joking some but have finally attached some photos. I'm very interested in the unit markings.

Thanks,
LW

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.