Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1910 DWM, SERIAL NUMBER 8783c, 13 HUSSAR, DETAILS AND WAR HISTORY

DWM military Lugers manufactured during 1910 are dated 1910 over the chamber and bear commercial (hidden) style serial number placement. They are reported in the 3580b to 5531e serial range and were manufactured without hold open or stock lug. There is considerable overlap in serial range with the 1911 DWM. About 17,000 were manufactured.

Download Attachment: 13Hussar1.jpg
37.17 KB
Figure 1. Left slant view of 1910 DWM, serial number 8783c. The serial number placement is hidden (commercial style).

Download Attachment: 13Hussar2.jpg
40.01 KB
Figure 2. Top view of 1910 DWM, serial number 8783c.

Download Attachment: 13Hussar3.jpg
48.22 KB
Figure 3. Right side of 1910 DWM, serial number 8783c.

Download Attachment: 13Hussar4.jpg
43.69 KB
Figure 4. Right receiver and barrel of 1910 DWM, serial number 8783c showing the proofs and acceptance stamps. The receiver proof and acceptance stamps are fairly sharp on this example. According to a May 6,1913 directive all P08's in service without a hold open were to have the hold open retrofitted. This was accomplished by Erfurt. A small crown / gothic letter, located under the frame rail, indicates a hold open was retrofitting to this Luger. The pin added to retain the hold open is properly in the white. Also, some of the sights were modified at the same timt as the hold open was added. This was also indicated by a small crown / gothic letter on the left side of the front sight.

Download Attachment: 13Hussar5.jpg
25.01 KB
Figure 5. Front of frame and bottom of barrel of 1910 DWM, serial number 8783c. Note the halo around the digits of the barrel serial number and lack of halo on the frame serial number. The barrel serial number is through the blue.

Download Attachment: 13Hussar6.jpg
37.47 KB
Figure 6. Proper magazine for 1910 DWM, serial number 8783c. The large numbers without letter suffix aligned with the long axis of the magazine bottom were used on DWM military contract Lugers until the e suffix range of 1911.

Download Attachment: 13Hussar7.jpg
17.83 KB
Figure 7. Front of 1910 DWM, serial number 8783c showing the Prussian Hussar unit markings..

Download Attachment: 13Hussar8.jpg
102.62 KB
Figure 8. To continue go to: 1900-1918: Lugers Unit Markings, and see 1910 DWM, SN 8783c, 13 HUSSAR for details of Lugers history and related unit marked accessories.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Jan
On the left side of the front sight base there is something that could be a little Gothic letter with crown.If I'm right,that means that the front sight was changed in the Erfurt Arsenal(probably at the same time of the adding of the hold-open device.

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PAOLO
I looked at several early German military Lugers and they all had the hold open added and the sight adjusted. The Bavarian unit marked Lugers had neither hold open added nor sight adjusted. Apparentally the Bavarians did not get their Lugers back to Erfurt in time to have this acomplished(the War Started).

Do you recall the reference for the sight hold open information.
Jan

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
When I look to your early DWM magazin with the large numbers I mentioned a small point behind the numbers. This point indicates the spare magazine with/at the early clips. Later came the well known + with the number. Sorry for my poor English. Regards fro Germany.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,620 Posts
Jan
I have a 1910 serial # 3189c. It has a holdopen added but nothing on the front sight. On the front of the sight base is a marking ( a small circle with some lines radiating outward ?). It is unit marked 6.u . An older mark was ground off before the 6u was added. Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts