Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This listing popped up earlier today on Gunbroker. At first, the seller claimed not to know much about it and said he was auctioning it off for his grandfather and had an opening bid under $1000. I looked and he only had four photos of it listed, so I asked him to post additions photographs of both the chamber area and the front grip strap, which he did later this afternoon. And he was right. It is a 1910 DWM, and to my surprise it does have a unit marking. "19.H. 2.6." In the meanwhile he also must have learned more about it because he raised the opening bid from under $1000 to $1800. I wish I had the money to buy it but I just bought a Luger this past week. The link is listed below in case any of you are interested. I've also included some of the photos he listed on the Luger. Can someone please tell me what this particular unit marking indicates by the way?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I initially contacted the seller of this 1910 DWM, this was his reply: "Absolutely, I will update photos this afternoon. I really appreciate you reaching out for more info. I wasn’t sure what people would be interested in seeing. Selling this for my grandfather, I don’t know too much about it."

·
Copper Bullet Member
689 Posts
That is the 19th Hussars, 2nd Squadron, weapon 6. It's a small world, as I have a 1910 DWM marked to the 19th Hussars, 2nd Squadron, weapon 3--Very close.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the 19th Hussars, 2nd Squadron, weapon 6. It's a small world, as I have a 1910 DWM marked to the 19th Hussars, 2nd Squadron, weapon 3--Very close.
I think pre-World War I Lugers tend to be rather scarce compared to others. How does this unit marking compare? Is it rare?

·
Copper Bullet Member
689 Posts
Although I have concentrated on collecting Imperial cavalry marked Lugers, I do not consider myself as an expert. Perhaps other more qualified collectors will chime in here. However, I reviewed the second revision of Jeff Noll's book on unit marking and only found one 1910 DWM (mine) unit marked to the 19th Hussars. Based on that, I would say that it is a fairly rare unit mark for the 1910 slick back Lugers. Of course I may have missed some in the list.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I understand. The takedown lever and safety should both be strawed, and appear to be blued. But why just refinish those parts? If they are matching?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Some of these guns were reworked in the 30's. Ask the seller to check the serials on those 3 parts: sideplate, takedown lever and the safety. You might find that they are mismatched replacements.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of these guns were reworked in the 30's. Ask the seller to check the serials on those 3 parts: sideplate, takedown lever and the safety. You might find that they are mismatched replacements.
I e-mailed the seller and asked him: "Do you know if the side plate, the safety lever, and the takedown lever all have the same number? If they are original to the gun, each should be marked 78, the last two digits of the serial number, somewhere on them. If so, it is a matching Luger. If not, the parts have likely been replaced somewhere along the way. Collectors almost always want matching number guns. Someone said that Lugers that early, 1910, were re-arsenaled back in the 1920's and 1930's and may have had those parts replaced if they are not numbered 78 to match the serial number on the Luger. The take down lever and the safety should have a straw coloring and those appear blued. So I wanted to ask and make sure." SO I'LL SEE WHAT HE REPLIES WITH.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The seller e-mailed me back and said all three, the side plate, the take down lever, and the safety lever are marked with the numbers 78, which are the final two digits in the serial number. So it is an all matching 1910 DWM Luger. I didn't ask about the magazine. Here is what he wrote me: "Thanks! All 78. Will post another picture."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts