Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in this pitted Luger yesterday, it really needs my help. The interested thing is the grip strap and unit markings. The front grip strap markings are xed out so completely I cant read them. The Unit marking that replaces them is ON THE BOTTOM of the grip strap and placed RADIALLY around the curved surface where you have to read them from the bottom. Anyone ever seen this before? It does NOT have a sear safety nor holes for one. This Luger is in the "a" suffix block of production.

Download Attachment: KC1913DWMB1.JPG
20.46KB

Download Attachment: KC1913DWMB2.JPG
273.31KB

Download Attachment: KC1913DWMB3.JPG
288.44KB

Download Attachment: KC1913DWMB4.JPG
180.18KB

Download Attachment: KC1913DWMB5.JPG
241.16KB

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thor
This is an unusual unit mark. If it is a police mark, the letters P.H. stands for, Police School, Hannover. I am not sure what the seperate number sets mean.

I have a police bayonet that was issued to a school and is unit marked; P.Bg.110. while yours has two seperate sets of numbers. Why have multiple sets for one training school???

I have seen photos of other Lugers that are stamped in the same area. As I recall, they were also replacement unit markings.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Thor
Thanks for the photographs of 1913 DWM, without police sear safety.
The x ed out front grip strap unit marking appears to be P.H.4.97. It was replaced by P.H.18.97.

As Gercolctor says P.H. signifies Police School Hannover (Gortz page 93, orders dated 12 April 1922) However, almost all police Lugers bear the police required sear safety.

A "P.H." is not isted in either Gortz or Noll as an Imperial unit mark. Perhaps the "P" signifies Pionier.
Jan

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the interesting information. The owner offerred some additional information on this gun today. He said:
"I have the original holster with this gun. Its dated 1913 and has the Xed out # on it. I also have the capture papers with it. They are dated 1945. The gun was released to a Capt. McCarthy. The magazine , which I realize I did not send with gun, is nazi marked with the aluminum bottom."

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Thor
All (or all most all) Imperial Lugers with indications of Weimar/Nazi military or police use have a relieved sear bar and all most all Imperial Lugers manufactured with an unrelieved sear bar that have no indications of post world War I use/rework do not have the sear bar relieved..

The sear bar of the 1913 DWM has been relieved. This may be an indication of Weimar/Nazi rework/use by the police or military.
Jan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.