Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey have a 1914 erfurt , that is double dated 1920, all matching, and has 4 stamps on right side 3 crowns of letters and a weird eagle. I'm a p-38 guy so help me out , what do I have.

Download Attachment: MVC-007F.JPG
139.65KB

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hi Bob,
Welcome to Lugerland. Can you post photos of the left side also? So far, the only thing that can be determined is that you have a 1914 Erfurt. Erfurt was the Gov't arsenal. Does you pistol have a sear safety? A small flat dog legged bar that is riveted to the upper left receiver and extends out over the top of the side plate?
The 1920 was stamped on it to identify it as Gov't property, circa 1920-1921.
The 4 marks are standard acceptance and firing proofs applied during production.
Ron

·
Administrator
15,519 Posts
Bob welcome to the forum. Please include pictures of the top, under the frame where the suffix is, left and right full sides.

Right now, it is only enough info to help you confirm it is a erfurt (as ronnie said).

Is it all matching? Take it apart and check to see if the firing pin and see if it matches, breechblock, etc?

Ed

·
Administrator
15,519 Posts
So, Bob this is a 1914 Erfurt that was reichswehr property marked 1920 (not a year) in probably 1920.

At some point during the weimar or just at the beginning of the nazi era it was issued to the police. Around 1933 it was given a sear safety, but notice, NO magazine safety. Magazine safetys were eliminated in 1937. But I beleive they were not used and put on all guns, but this is unknown.

Ed

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Jan, if it is the "W" do you suspect it is a DWM frame? Has any Erfurt ever been noted with the "W"?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Bob,
When and if you post the close up of the upper left grip. Take it with the side plate removed. There should be a 1/4" hole drilled in the frame behind the side plate. Another provision for the mag safety.

Ron

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,726 Posts
Would also like to know if the serial number on the front of the frame and under the barrel has a suffix letter. This appears to be another "1914" Erfurt that may have been a later frame with a 1914 dated receiver. Note the notch cut in the receiver end for the artillery sight (supposedly done later than 1914) and the relieved sear bar, also a feature of later than 1914 Erfurts. Jan Still reports in Imperial Lugers, that the suffix letter went to "b" as only 7000 were produced that year as most production was the LP08.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
I'm beginning to think it might be a (DWM) mark.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The suffix under the matching number on frame is an "a", and yes from the link given it has a "w" under the trigger guard. And yes all numbers match , frame, barrel, slide, and all types of pieces match. The new pics should provide some answer. Hey this is fun I have 2 more and in even better condition, 1 is another erfurt , but the other one stumps people I think it is a 1939, I'll dig those up after we figure this one out.

Download Attachment: MVC-006F.JPG
72.28KB

Download Attachment: MVC-002F.JPG
89.95KB

Download Attachment: MVC-004F.JPG
73.44KB

·
Administrator
15,519 Posts
So, it had both the sear safety and also used to have a Magazine Safety, see circled area.

Download Attachment: Image155.jpg
63.26 KB

The picture of the gripstrap should be of the other side. IF it has any markings...

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Bob
Photographs of the serial number on the bottom of the barrel and front of the frame and any markinge on the front of the trigger guard would be most helpful to determine if your Luger was matched sometime during a rework program after it was manufactured.
Thanks
Jan

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Bob
The crown/scriptic letter on the front of the triggerguard is standard for an Erfurt frame. The photographs do not show any C/scriptic letter acceptance stamps or proofs on the barrel. If this is correct the barrel may be a police rework replacement.
Thanks
Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm the barrel just has the serial number on it, and nothing else , accept for a little "o" on the front of the front sight base. although on the top of the barrel near the frame is a mark but , hit too light, and not complete, not centered may just be a nice blemish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.