Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me the year these 2 pistols were produced ?
Apologies, but my camera is on a trip with my wife.

Mauser Model 1914 - s/n 127482
32cal - smooth wooden grip
NO recessed groove where the s/n is stamped on the slide
"WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A.-G. OBERNDORF A.N.MAUSER'S PATENT"
ALL 6 digits of s/n stamped on rear of frame above grip
Has the military stamp in front of the rear sight
Has the CC/U stamp behind the rear sight
No stamps or engraving on the right side of the slide or receiver
No stamps/engraving on the front strap
No stamps/engraving on the trigger or trigger guard

Mauser Model 1934 - s/n 498583
32cal - checkered wooden grip
Recessed groove where the s/n is stamped on the slide
"MAUSER-WERKE A.G.OBERNDORF A.N."
Last 3 digits of s/n stamped on rear of frame above grip
NO military stamp in front of the rear sight
Has the CC/U stamp behind the rear sight
"Cal. 7,65-D.R.P.u.A.P" on the right side of the slide
No stamps/engraving on the front strap
No stamps/engraving on the trigger or trigger guard

many thanks for the help,
Tommy Burt
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I'm sure there is someone who can pin it down to the exact year but the best I can do based on my research is the 1914 was produced between 1916-1918 and the 1934 has a very low SN and was most likely produced during 1934 or earlier. From your description the 1914 is a "Imperial German Army Issue" according to Pender's ref and your 1934 is either "1914/34 transitional" or "1934 early commercial" depending on finish and grip style. Hope this is helpful. Why is the production year important to you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In cataloging what I have, one of the descriptions I try to identify is when the item was produced (just the year) and if possible, the quantity produced during that year.

Also it`s interesting in discussions with friends (fellow neophite collectors like me) to talk about how old the gun is.

many thanks for your reply to my questions
Tommy Burt

·
Registered
542 Posts
Tommy/Burgess,
* Possibly you've already seen the attached thread URL. If not, it might be helpful for S/N 127482 above.

http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3900&SearchTerms=LaCroix

* The year of your later example poses an interesting study/exercise. Burgess likely has it correctly stated.
- From my interpretation of Mr. John LaCroix's copyrighted data charts presented in AutoMag, Vol. XXXII, Issue 3 (6/99), your Mauser Model 1934 - s/n 498583 was made in 1933. Further, by this data, your example was produced in the 4th quarter of Mauser's 1933 Calender year. John's data does incorporate Mauser's reporting change to a Fiscal year ending on Sept. 30, 1933 (3rd Qtr's end of the 1933 Calender Year) invoked by a Company Basis change incorporated sometime in 1930 per Mr. LaCroix.
- Production in the 1933 calender year is given as 11,391 (a linear 2,848/Qtr.) spanning the S/N range of 488,938 to 500,329. John's data is stated as having been reconciled with Heer Wolfgang Seel's data input. Also, Jim Cate's/Martin Krause's discovery of the documented definitive transition date from C/U to E/N on 1-16-40 per AM's 2/99 issue's input was said to have been incorporated. This placed the 1934's proof marking conversion @ nominally S/N 576600.
- Two cautionary notes by Mr. La Croix need to be included here wherein John states:
(a) "The 1914 Types (breakpoints) project beyond the range of currently known examples."
(b) "I did not make any mention of (or adjustment for) the apparent 5000 pistol number gap occurring at 470000 - 475000 in the 1914 S/N Type pistol S/N (breakpoint) chart."
- Mr. LaCroix's data states a 1934 calender year production of 6,216 Type 1914 pistols(linear 1,554/Qtr progression). For your example, as you can see, this gap removal would imply a 1934 calender year production @ the cusp of the 2nd to 3rd calender year qtr. This "gap" removal would also favorably influence the projected overrun mentioned in (a) above.
- So, Tommy, the year of production of your S/N 498583 is your call still; but, hopefully with a little more data from which to judge.

* Trust this helps.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Bob,
Thank you for the reference (URL). Mr. LaCroix’s data would rule out 1918 and based on the numbers for 1918 it appears that 1917 would be the year of production for the SN 127482. If someone has access to the issue of AutoMag with Mr. LaCroix’s data they should be able verify the year for Tommy. I am a new member to the NAPCA and hope to acquire the back issues of AutoMag with Mr. LaCroix’s articles when they become available. I hope Mr. LaCroix is still around and that his book materializes. If not I hope his research is not lost.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Tommy,
* Per Mr. LaCroix's chart, your S/N 127482 was made in 1917.
* A 2nd Variation, Type 1 Military made as 1 of 46k in 1917 over the S/N range 94,000 - 140,000.
* I believe John's research was based on about 1500+ database entries reported to him of 1910, 1914, 1934 & HSC examples.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks to Bob and Burgess for their time/research efforts.

I`ve poured through many of the threads related to the pocket pistols but your details were very concise.

I enjoy this forum very much.
Tommy Burt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.