Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the serial number I belive this maybe a 1914 Commercial. The numbers ranged from 71500-73500. If so their were only 2000 estimated total made. The 1908 Commercial had a serial number range of 39000-71500. Estimated total 9,000 made. What has me confused a bit is the suffix that goes with the serial numbers on the pistol. You normally see this on military Lugers. My guess DWM had a lot of parts laying around to make their commercial Lugers. Also the 1923 Commercial serial numbers ranged from 73500-96000. Another factor if this is a 1914 the proof mark on the receiver should be horizontal not vertical. With all the Luger variations out their. I'm beginning to think this is not a exact science.

Download Attachment: 567.jpg
10.96 KB

Download Attachment: 789.jpg
14.9 KB

Download Attachment: 123.jpg
9.59 KB

Download Attachment: 1234.jpg
12.29 KB

Download Attachment: 578.jpg
12.08 KB

Download Attachment: 134.jpg
6.24 KB

Is a 1914 the proof mark on the receiver should be horizontal not vertical. With all of the variations of Lugers out their. I'm begining to think it's not a exact science.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for posting some pictures twice.

Download Attachment: 12345.jpg
13.39 KB

Download Attachment: 001.jpg
34.12 KB

ADMIN: You can always change your own posting, add pictures to it, etc., by clicking on the paper/pencil icon att eh top of your posting and then add as many pictures, change wording etc. EBT

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Dow,
* What S/N do you believe to be on this pistol?? I think I only see the S/N "7316 k" on the frame and the barrel. Am I not seeing something in the pictures?
* If a "k" block, this configuration would fit the classic 1920 DWM S/N range. Vertical commercial Crown/N nitro proof mark would be correct.
* These are now known as the "Alphabet DWM's". Jan Still's, Weimar Lugers, Pg. 15, Table 1b suggests this pistol was made in 1922.
* "Germany" marking on the frame would indicate DWM made/prepared this pistol for export from Germany. Likely went to the USA market in mid to late 1922.
* While not mentioned, is this pistol in 7.65mm caliber(30 Luger)?
* Trust this helps.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RockinWR,
I think what confused me was the k on this pistol. I think on this one, the Weimar Republic was cash poor from the beginning and scrambled to find anything exportable. Also it's in 9mm. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.