Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a 1914 DWM. It has unit markings of 22.R.R.M.G.76. Looking at Mr. Noll's book I believe that translates to the 22nd Infantry Regiment, the 76 Machine Gun Company. Or does the R.R. translate to the Recruiting Regiment? Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Jim
I have a bayonet marked 22.R.R.M.G.30. According to the official rules and regulations R.R. signifies recruiting depot or company. According to the rules 22.R.R.M.G.30. signifies Recruiting Depot Infantry Regiment 22, Machine Gun Company, weapon number 30. However , I do not understand how a machine gun fits in with a recruiting depot or company (unless for training). I am inclined to believe that it signifies something else but am not sure what.

I would speculate that 22.R.R.M.G.30.signifies: 22nd Reserve Infantry Regiment, Machine Gun Company weapon 30. Here the R.R. is the abbreviation for Reserve Infantry Regiment; this is not according to regulations or observed practice but perhaps plausible.

Perhaps a unit markings expert can clear up the confusion.
Jan

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,234 Posts
Jim, is one of the "Rs" scriptic?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
George, No. Both of the letters are large case regular script.
Jan, On page 59 of Mr. Noll's book it states that R.R. stands for Recruiting Depot. On the previous page it says R.M.G. stands for Machine Gun Company of an Infantry Regiment. So pretty much I came up with what you came up with. I was hoping that there was some official manner in which the letters were normally taken apart. Jim

·
Registered
513 Posts
jimmiej,

Sorry for the late weigh-in. I agree with Ron that it is probably a Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment but must say that accordingly to official regulations (1909) the marking would indicate a Rekrutendepot of an Infanterie-Regiment. Rekrutendepot(s) were where untrained recruits went before they were posted to an Ersatz-Bataillon of four Ersatz-Kompagnien each for more advanced training. There is no mention of any Ersatz-MG-Kompagnien in Ersatz-Bataillon. Many times men who were recovering from wounds were posted in Ersatz-Kompagnie for recuperation.

Some recruits were posted directly to Feld-Rekruten-Depots (depending on needs) which were located near the front were advanced training was received and troops sent directly to their units. Feld-Rekruten-Depots had four to six companies. Again, no mention of MG companies in Field Recruiting Depots but it is definitely a possibility. I have never seen any documentation regarding the existance of MGK in Field Recruiting Depots. Note the MG training was commonly accomplished through Erastz-MG-Kompagnie at the Armeekorps level.

The Sg71/84 was rehilted (Sg84/98aA) to fit a Mod 98 type rifle beginning in 1908 and the unmodified Sg71/84 sent to units without rifles. Your bayonet was still listed for MGK in 1914. Field Recruiting Depots were established beginning in December 1914 so the time is appropriate.

I can provide more details on this or speculation on why your bayonet is marked the way it is. However, with markings like yours one can never be absolutely definitive on their interpretation. Jeff

·
Registered
98 Posts
"I have never seen any documentation regarding the existence of MGK in Field Recruiting Depots."

Maschinengewehr-Scharfschuetzen-Kommando West mit Maschinengewehr-Schuetzen-Rekruten-Depot der O.H.L.

Feld-Rekruten-Depot fuer Gebirgs-Maschinengewehr-Abteilungen.
Feld-Rekruten-Depot fuer Gebirgs-Maschinengewehr-Abteilungen der Heeresgruppe Scholtz.

Source of documentation : "Maschinengewehrformationen 1914/18" in ZfH 1967-69 by Oberst Kling and Major H.R. von Stein.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr. Noll,
Thanks for the response. However, Mr. Still has the bayonet. What I was refering to was a 1914 DWM PO8. You lost me when you started talking about bayonets which I know absolutely nothing about. What I did understand is that it is probably from the 22 Reserve Regiment. Do you know much about the history of that unit? I am still waiting to receive my copy of "Histories of 251 Divisions...." Thanks again Jim.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Jim
According to Jeff Nolls excellent book, page 151, the 22nd Reserve Infantry Regiment was part of the 12 Res Div. and the 117 Div. during World I. If it turns out to be the 22nd Infantry Regiment, it was part of the 12 Inf. Div. and the 11th Reserve Div. during World War I.

Klaus
The important question is: does the Recruiting Depot, Infantry Regiment 22, have an associated or attached Machine Gun Company?
Jan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.