Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
A co-worker brought in a 1914 DWM 4 inch Luger today that his father captured in WW2. He brought it and a K98K back. The Luger is serial number 1641c with the "1920" property stamp over the 1914 date. All of the pistol matches except the clip which was unproofed with the serial number 5444 and a 2 under the serial number with a + under the 2. It has some wear on the front gripstrap and on the left side of the muzzle. On the front gripstrap is the following 3/Gb.Jr.R.100. Does anyone know the unit? Also on the back of the frame, above the rear gripstrap is 2.431 . The 2 is twice the size of the 431. Someone has "lined out" this number. I've not ever seen one marked this way. But, you can still make it out. The internals look like it's hardly been fired. The strawing would rate 90%. He's not sure if he wants to sell it or not. I didn't know he was going to bring it in or I'd had my camera. All other proofs are typical DWM proofs with no RC or Nazi proofs. A local gunshop offered him 500.00 for the piece. I offered him 750.00 for it. He said he'd have to think about it. I did tell him that it could bring as much as 1100.00... But, 750.00 was all that I'd put into it.

jeff

·
Administrator
15,553 Posts
Jeff, do you know what to look for in a police luger? The markings sound like a army, but having a police luger with it is a slight possibility...

Ed

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed,
As far as a sear safety and or a mag safety. Yep, I know those features. It had neither. I think it's a straight up army piece. But, I've sure not ever seen any markings like those on the back portion of the reciever. I'm hoping that if he decides to keep it he will at let me photo it.

jeff

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ed, He's bringing me the K98K next week. He doesn't want any rifles in his house? He says that it's still in the crate his dad sent it back in!! It's supposed to be a BNZ 43. I told him if it was all matching I'd give him 600.00 for it. He thinks it is but he's only seen it once. He's supposed to decide on the Luger next week also. I may go 100.00 higher because of the markings. I've never had a unit marked gun before.
jeff

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
With nothing more than a quick hunch, I would say that it is a pistol marked with provisional markings undr the lanyard loop that were subsequently removed when the 1922 directive was published. The grip strap markings are likely to a Gebirgs unit that was part of an Infantry regiment (maybe Jaeger regiment).

I believe that it is quite a rare Reichswehr marking. First I have ever seen.

Jeff, should you get it and want to sell, I would be interested.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hey There Anderson, which side of the Mississippi is he on?

BTW, I think George is correct on the marking ID. It is a rare one. And COOL! Jäger marked pistols aren't very common. Especially Weimar Reichswehr Jäger units.

Ron

G

·
If you snag the K98 and want to turn a few bucks let me know. I collect 'em hard. Further, might even consider a P.08 (byf)trade for the K if that's of interest... and the 98 is righteous...

Drop me a note...rmarqu255*aol.com

Thanks...Bob

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob,
Well, I saw the rifle... First let me say that I've never seen an honest vet bring back like this one. NO TWO serial numbers on it matched!! The stock was duffle bag cut. And the front piece was missing. I was sick about the stock as it was a 98 stock from WW1. Really pretty. The metal on the rifle was pitted also. I told him that I could only give him 200.00 for it and piece it out. He wasn't interested.

I'm on the trail of a byf 44 and a dou K98 at this time. Both are owned by a younger collector that picked them up at a estate sale a few weeks ago. I'll keep you in mind. A friend of mine sold a ac45 k43, c block, dual bolt guide gun at the National Gun Day Show a coule of weeks ago for 1400.00!! It was perfect and all matching. It didn't have a sight hood. But, it never had one installed. I'm still licking my wounds over that one getting away...

jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.