Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Johnny
Excellent photographs of a beautiful rare 1914 DWM artillery. Fifteen years ago, when I put Imperial Lugers together, I over estimated its production; which, is certainally much less than the 5000 estimated (Imperial Lugers, page 15 and 92). It displays a good halo on the barrel serial number digits and some spotting of the straw.
Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't show up well in the photograph due to the lighting, but the barrel proof also shows a nice halo.

· Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
What an excellent and rare pistol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the halo is the light colored area around the stamping. I certainly have no scientific explanation, but it appears that the markings that were stamped after the rust blue finish was applied are the ones that develop the halo. It would appear that the stamping work hardens the metal as it is compressed by the die, and the blue in this area comes off over a period of time.
A Mini-Maglite flashlight is a very useful tool to carry to a gunshow. The intense light will shine through the finish, and give an excellent indication of whether the finish if old or of recent vintage. It makes the halo pop out with unbelievable clarity. The light will also show any aging or oxidation under the blue finish. If there is none present, be immediately suspicious of the finish.
I will try posting pictures showing the halo in normal room light (which is better than most gunshows) and with the Mini-Maglite.

Download Attachment: 1676-1.jpg
50.4KB

Download Attachment: 1676-2.jpg
60.72KB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.