Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently picked up this 1914 Erfurt Military that I would appreciate any comments on. Although the pictures look like the gun is covered with rust it's actually the finish turning a brown/patina. There is no rust or pitting and the bore is in what I would call average condition. The straw would grade around 10%. The gun is completely matching and has all the proof marks except on one of the grip screws.

Download Attachment: lugerside.jpg
34.23KB

Download Attachment: lugertop.jpg
24.76KB

There are various stamps on the grip panels. On each grip I see what looks to be something that has been deeply X out. There is also a very small B on one of the grips and a large W. On the other grip I see a large letter U. Each grip is marked with the last two numbers of the serial number. What do you think? Replacements?

Download Attachment: lugergrips.jpg
29.96KB

I'm really happy with the dark brown holster. The stitching is nice and tight and is marked with a crown over III on the back. Inside I see a year stamped 1914 and it's also marked BA X1. I searched this forum and found out what the BA X1 stands for. I'm not sure about the year stamp.

Download Attachment: holster.jpg
24.92KB

See the year stamp at the center of the picture below. Is this the way they were stamped?

Download Attachment: holster.jpg
14.83KB

I am very curious about the magazines. Both are stamped with the gun's serial number. The magazine on the right in the picture with the light wood color has a extra small hole on one side just above the wood at the 11 o'clock position. I can't figure out why.

Download Attachment: magazines.jpg
24.85KB

The dark wood bottom shown below has correct s/n and what looks to be a small + below. There are no other marks or proofs.

Download Attachment: magB.jpg
7.21KB

This mag also has the correct s/n and a proof mark above and below the s/n.

Download Attachment: magC.jpg
7.36KB

So, there it is. I question the grips and magazines. Correct replacements, mags? Any idea as to value for the whole rig?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
A respectable Luger, its unfortunate about the browning.

You are right the grips and mag bases are interesting. All of these pieces should have Erfurt inspectors' stamps. I'm really curious about what has been crossed out on the grips.

Can you post much larger, more detailed photos of the grip markings, also larger pictures of the mag bases side-by-side, lit so both flats are visible and in focus? Erfurt magazine buttons are distinctive, photos of yours would be useful.

--Dwight

--Dwight

·
Registered
406 Posts
The darker mag is possibly a match, although usually the numbers line up. I believe that the ones that came from the factory were stamped in a jig. The small "+" would indicate the second magazine, or spare mag. I really have my doubts regarding the one with the light wood bottom. Numbers do not look correct and certainly do not match the style of the other mag. Also, the two holes in the mag body indicate an aftermarket mag, or an original that has been redrilled. Certainly not vintage WWI configuration, IMHO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dwight, I'll try to post better pictures. The gun doesn't look as bad as you see in the pictures. The original bluing is much darker so the brown areas are not as terrible as you see them.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,726 Posts
The 1914 Erfurt 4 inch barrel, according to Jan Still, and well documented in his Imperial Lugers, is the least common (about 7000 made)of the WW1 military P.08's. The serial number range spanned just into the late "b" suffix series. This specimen, with just three digits and no suffix, is an early product of the factory run. Serial numbers of the LP.08's were interspersed and numbered about 23,000. The early magazine bottoms were characterized by TWO proofs, one at either end of the wooden bottom. I don't see these proofs, which would tend to make them suspect, but certainly they could be armorer replacements. The metal tubes also usually bear the peculiar Erfurt patina. Only one of these mags seem to have this. I am lucky to have two of these scarce 1914's, both have all the features documented by Jan. Very nice, apparently original holster.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are enlargements of previous pictures. If I go much larger I may loose some detail. The magazine with the lighter wood does have two proof marks and that mysterious 3rd hole on one side at the bottom.
Does anyone have an opinion as to the year stamp inside the holster? Is this the correct method?
Thanks again to all who are taking the time to post comments.

Download Attachment: gripsclose.jpg
55.22KB

Download Attachment: magspair2.jpg
34.98KB

Download Attachment: magspair.jpg
16.61KB

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Johnny, the year stamp inside the holster is odd. Normally a date would appear as a part of the maker's mark or in ink with the clothing depot stamp. Like your magazine numbers and the grips, it's a bit off standard. Given that, it may also be perfectly legit.

It could be a battlefield slavage brought back to be cleaned up and reissued.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.