Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
What I see is a 1914 DWM Luger that was modified with a sear safety for police service at some point in time. The unnumbered barrel indicates that the original barrel was replaced, likely by a police armorer although there's no marking to show the repair. The letters on the grip strap are police markings and the magazine base with the serial number and a "2" indicate that the magazine was also marked by police who used 1 & 2 to mark magazines as primary and spare. There is no evidence of a magazine safety ever having been installed.

Looking at the barrel again, I see marks from the tool used to install it. I also note that the front sight is not a normal military/police type but more like the Swiss used or those used on early commercial Lugers. The barrel MAY have been replaced by someone other than the police.

The finish on everything except the replacement barrel matches and appears to be in excellent condition. A very nice example of an Imperial military Luger from the first war that was later modified for police service.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Beachbaker, I didn’t know the barrel was supposed to have a serial number, and I don’t doubt your expertise that the barrel was replaced. I saw the same marks on the barrel after someone pointed it out. Do you have an idea as to why the barrel would have been replaced when the rest of the pistol looks to be in very good shape?
Kevin
While to condition of the pistol is excellent, if the original barrel was shot with corrosive cartridges - they all were in those days - and not properly cleaned, the bore would be ruined. That, IMO, is the most likely reason for the barrel change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts