Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I’ve searched this forum and have learned a few things but I’m still a novice to these Lugers. My father has asked that I try to find out what this is and what it’s worth. Dad bought this 1914 Luger from the widow of a WWII vet. She had the certificate where he brought it home from Germany and gave it to dad. She also provided dad with a letter stating that her husband was a fighter pilot stationed in Germany after the war and one day while out with other pilots, they came across an abandoned warehouse and found a case of Lugers. The pistols all looked new and each pilot helped themselves to one. I’ve tried to take pictures of all markings. Besides the serial number I found only one letter which was an “a” on the frame below the barrel. Another unusual marking are the letters “V. P. S.” on the grip strap below the trigger guard. I haven’t been able to find anything on the forum about The V.P.S. So what do you guys think it is ? What’s it worth? Thanks for your help,
Kevin
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Tire Automotive tire Gun accessory Auto part Cylinder
Automotive tire Drinkware Bicycle part Rim Gas
Finger Musical instrument accessory Wood Thumb Bicycle part
Finger Fluid Watch accessory Machine Electric blue
Bumper Handgun holster Everyday carry Automotive exterior Material property
Wood Household hardware Door Gas Tool
Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Everyday carry
Revolver Trigger Bicycle part Air gun Shotgun

Revolver Trigger Bicycle part Air gun Shotgun

Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Everyday carry

Finger Musical instrument accessory Wood Thumb Bicycle part

Wood Household hardware Door Gas Tool

Bumper Handgun holster Everyday carry Automotive exterior Material property

Finger Fluid Watch accessory Machine Electric blue

Tire Automotive tire Gun accessory Auto part Cylinder

Automotive tire Drinkware Bicycle part Rim Gas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I suspected it might be a police officers pistol because of the VPS on the grip strap. That’s Usually where some sort of unit marking is located. But I‘m not knowledgeable to have known which one. The only thing I can tell is that it seems to be in great shape to be as old as it is.
Anyone dare to guess an approximate value ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Edward, thanks for your help, but make sure I have this right for my father. It is a police Luger, but we’re not sure what city, possibly a reserve police unit. The barrel may have been replaced because there are no markings on it?
Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beachbaker, I didn’t know the barrel was supposed to have a serial number, and I don’t doubt your expertise that the barrel was replaced. I saw the same marks on the barrel after someone pointed it out. Do you have an idea as to why the barrel would have been replaced when the rest of the pistol looks to be in very good shape?
Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Doubs, OK I hadn’t considered the corrosive cartridges. Makes sense, Good call.
I want to thank everyone for their assistance and their patience with my questions! I’ve already passed most of this along to my father. He’s 84 and the internet is still a mystery to him. He’s amazed that I was able to ask for help amd find out facts about his pistol. Thanks again.
Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Doubts, OK I hadn’t considered the corrosive cartridges. Good call.
I want to thank everyone for their assistance an their patience with my questions! I’ve already passed most of this along to my father. He’s 84 and the internet is still a mystery to him.
thanks everyone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts