Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 1914 Mauser (SN# 64xxx), that someone, thoughtfully, nickel plated sometime in the distant past (I've had the piece almost 20 years). I haven't shot it for some 15 years, and decided to pull it out and take it to the range. When I tried to take it apart, I had trouble getting the slide off, and seem to think there was some trick to the disassembly, but I can't remember it.

I've got the barrel and retaining pin out, dropped the slide to the right position, dropped the striker, removed the magazine, but after that, the slide won't come off the frame. It comes forward about 1/4 inch from the regular rest position, then stops. It feels like it's hitting something. I've checked and rechecked the big disassembly book I have, but it looks like I'm following all the instructions correctley.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I take it you´ve managed to remove the side plate and the magazine is out. The receiver slides free but the sear bar safety hook is catching somewhere, stopping the receiver from sliding completely out.

The remedy is to try again WITH THE WHOLE SETUP UPSIDE DOWN. This should keep the safety hook free and enable you to remove the receiver.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
NO!! You´ve started off incorrectly.

With the magazine removed and the pistol not cocked:

Step 1: push the receiver back against the force of the main spring as far as it will go.
Step 2: this will take the pressure off the side-plate locking catch - turn the catch (clockwise) and remove the side plate - prising it off with your thumb nail if necessary.
Step 3: turn the whole pistol upside down and slide off the receiver.

I promise that this WILL work.

Patrick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for being obtuse, but I don't think we're talking about the same piece. My 1914 Mauser is a 7.65mm, and it doesn't have a side plate catch (at least a visible one). It was my understanding that the side plates were only on the 25 auto versions (called the m1910's).
Still, I'll look tonight when I get home (I'm at work now).
I don't rememeber doing this 20 years ago, but then again I don't rememeber a lot of stuff from 20 years ago.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Villiers, you are referring to a Mauser Broomhandle - NOT a M1914.

Paulh,
What is keeping the slide from moving forward and off the frame is the magazine and/or the ejector.

Put the magazine back into the pistol and CAREFULLY let the slide move forward until it stops.

Remove the magazine.

You should now be able to remove the slide from the frame.

For future reference :

Field Stripping the Mauser M1914/34 pistol

1. Unload the pistol. Remove any rounds from both the magazine and the pistol chamber.

2. With the gun unloaded, pull the slide to the rear until it locks back.

3. Push up on the barrel retaining spring located on the underside of the frame at the muzzle. Rotate the barrel retaining pin from its seat on the frame and pull it forward and out of the pistol.

4. Lift the barrel from the frame.

5. Reinsert the magazine and carefully drop the slide. The slide will now go past its normal "home" position on the frame.

6. Using your hand, line up the slide to its normal position and pull the trigger, dropping the striker. When this is done, let the slide move forward until it stops.

7. Remove the magazine. You should be able to move off the slide off frame at this point.

8. Remove recoil spring assembly from frame and striker/striker spring from slide.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone, I'm sorry to say that I have still not been able to get the slide off. It seems as though something is catching on the slide after if moves forward a fraction of an inch. I don't see anything in the mag well blocking it, so I just may have to take it to a smith to see if there is anything that can be done.
Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have one that does the same thing. I have to re cock the slide, remove the mag, pull the trigger, slide the mag back in, gently let the slide move forward, remove the slide and presto it comes off. Only after 3 or 4 tries or more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for their help, I finally succeeded in getting the slide off. I was withdrawling the magazine too early in the disassembly, before the slide was down to it's normal position. This was keeping the hold open in the up position, and the slide wouldn't go past it. Hopefully, I'll remember for the next time.

Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.