Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting pics of what I think is a Hardshell holster for a Model 1914 Mauser.
The holster appears to have originally been brown and later dyed black. I cannot find any date or makers name. On the front of the holster body, just below the pull up strap is a circle with what appears to be a bear or wolf standing on its hind legs. Does anyone know whose logo that was, and from what time frame.

The inside of the flap has a purple ink stamp: L P I,,,, I am guessing that is a police mark?

Any information or comments on this holster are welcome.

thanks, Frank

Download Attachment: DCP00568.JPG
115.35KB

Download Attachment: DCP00569.JPG
131.98KB

Download Attachment: DCP00570.JPG
147.23KB

Download Attachment: DCP00571.JPG
206.62KB

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Frank,

I believe that the bear in a circle is a Finnish makers mark. I'm not sure, but it may be for a Finnish contract 1934/1935 Beretta. I have a Finnish Luger holster with the bear in a circle mark. Just a guess.
Ron

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,331 Posts
Frank, Very unusual holster with the hardshell constructed top and the pull-up strap! Ron's guess is as good as any. I have never seen anything like it. Jerry Burney

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sako92, Welcome to the forum and thank you for your input. Being from Finland, can you verify that the Bear in a Circle mark is a Finish maker mark, or even identify the Maker?
thanks, runner

·
Registered
98 Posts
quote:Originally posted by lugerholsterrepair

Frank, Very unusual holster with the hardshell constructed top and the pull-up strap! Ron's guess is as good as any. I have never seen anything like it. Jerry Burney
Hi Jerry, Hope all is going well out west.

This is the third hard shell for a small (7.65?) I have seen. The first one was at a New Hampshire show in 1999 and the seller said it was a rare ppk holster (wanted $800). The second one I saw was offered as a Swedish pp holster (not for sale at the time). This is the third one and it is interesting in that it has the bear marking and an ink stamp. Those markings might finally nail down the origins and application for this holster type. I also note a brass stud. That tends to suggest something other than post-1934 German.

That brings to mind another question. Radom and luger holsters have pull-up straps. Are these the only pistol holsters that have manual pull-up straps and does anyone have an opinion why? Wartime P.35(b)'s don't have them and P.38 pull-ups are integral.

HC

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,331 Posts
HC, Everything is warm and sunny here.

The Germans used the pull up strap on some other things besides holsters like map cases. Really tiny pull ups for an erasure pocket or some such.

Not many holsters needed them because they were easy to grab hold of. Jerry Burney

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well ,I cheked it and it is Rauma's leather factory mark.There should be a text RAUMA inside the circle also,but at least in my holster it is very faint.these were originally brown in color but many were later painted black.BROTHERS ÅSTRÖMS in OULU used similar round logo,but there was a reindeer inside the circle and the text OULU.When holster is worn or the stamp lightly struck these may be mixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.