Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a Mauser 1914 that turned up at a local show. It is serial #1, and looks 100% original to me. It is police Unit marked once on the side xxxed out, and also on the front strap. Each Unit mark ends in 1.

Was there any separate contracts in their own serial range ??? It is Not a Humpback !

Edit ; I just noticed that Bob Simpson has a serial #1 1914/34 transitional.

If real that would make three separate serial No. 1 Mausers, A humpback, and these two examples ..... Is there any #2 to say 100 serial numbers known ???

If not, They would certainly seem suspect as a serial number block. Bob says in his ad, his might be a special purpose gun. Does that make sense for two serial # 1 Pocket Mausers??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Do you think that it could have been ordered in a seperate run requiring its own serial range for the police designate.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That occured to me, but..

I checked Bob simpsons web site after I posted, and he also has a 1914/34 Transitional, also serial no. 1. It also is obviously not a humpback. So now we have 2 possible contracts.

How come I have not seen any No.2 to 100 serial numbers (that are not humpbacks) if these are contracts they must have some higher numbers that must have turned up somewhere?? have you seen any?

If real, what are they, special purpose guns ???

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I would suspect that Lou Picilla had a thing to do with this dubious marked number 1 as he did several jobs on serial number 1. Namely, P.Mpd.37, P.Mod27, byf41, and some others long forgotten. Sorry, kk

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
For those who knew Lou Picilla or knew of Lou, he died three weeks ago from a brain tumor. I only knew him from the Pittsburgh gun shows and knew nothing about his notoriety with altering pistols. I never owned a pistol until ten years ago and he was very helpful in sharing his "honest knowledge". with me.
Thanks for reading, Joe

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
For those who knew Lou Picilla or knew of Lou, he died three weeks ago from a brain tumor. I only knew him from the Pittsburgh gun shows and knew nothing about his notoriety with altering pistols. I never owned a pistol until ten years ago and he was very helpful in sharing his "honest knowledge". with me.
Thanks for reading, Joe

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do know this 1914 had nothing to do with Lou, This pistol, a Factory Engraved and cased 1934 Mauser, and several other neat guns are coming from a Florida estate of an old time collector. I have been lucky enough to get two of them, Including the 1934, and this 1914 which I bought today. I hope a few more will turn up in a couple months are so.

I do appreciate the warning though about Lou's fantasy items comming up for sale, and will be very carefull about what I pick up.

Good Collecting, signalman.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I saw the same pistol,1914#1, at a local gun store in Pgh..It had a broken shoulder holster that came with it. Boy, if it's the same one, it sure gets around.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turps, I wonder, Exactly which shop did you find this exact gun in, in Pitts., especially since this one has been in Florida for ages...

I would like to contact the owner to see if he still has his pistol, and can describe it, maybe he has a photo of it. Maybe the police markings were different. It could solve this puzzle.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
There is a Weimar police district that had a group of 1914 Mausers with a unique serial number range. I do not know if the grip strap marking is the correct district but it would be numbered to match the serial number like this one is and I also do not know if the variation is correct for this group but I do know they exist. I also recall seeing this pistol on an auction site. Perhaps Don Maus, his book or another member can shed some more light on this subject. I would also like to know more about these 1914s.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Burgess, I would be happy to bring it to a show for your inspection. Let me know your schedual and I will see if I can attend.

I will be in Melbourne Fl. show at the end of the month.

Also, if One district had their own serial range, then perhaps others did also.

I sure would feel a little more comfortable seeing a low serial number OTHER than the number 1 on a 1914 Mauser.

Good Collecting, signalman

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Mauser was sold to someone in Florida. I'm not talking about months ago but weeks ago. Did your pistol come with a shoulder holster? Maybe there are more than one of these Mauser pistols with the#1? It looks like the same markings to me.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello, I saw no shoulder holster with this Mauser and was not offered one.

What dealer did you see your Mauser at?? Why do you say your Mauser was sold to someone in Florida? Did you see the transaction or talk to the dealer selling it ?

Either there are two different guns, or something is fishy, Either Your dealer, or my source for this estate is lying. Unlikely unless your dealer also had the factory engraved and cased 1934.

I purchased that gun at the previous Louisville show but saw it at least a year earlier when it was not for sale.

I really want to contact your dealer to nail down the history of these 1914's.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Howard – I am in north central Florida. I don’t usually make it to south Florida shows and due to current legal battles with my former wife over custody I only get to attend local shows. I will contact a local collector I know who has the one other example I know of to get some more details on it. I will be happy to report what I find out.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, I would appreciate that.

I do hit other shows like Lakeland ( although, not at Jacks show, as I will be in Melbourne due to a previous commitment ) so I can see you there for the club show in Lakeland. Also, maybe at an Orlando show. I can bring the pistol for your inspection.

Good Collecting

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,507 Posts
The serial number and marking are genuine. See Table 5-10 in History Writ in Steel for more like it. Note that the Table erroneously lists this marking as being on a Sauer M1926 Export. The same table lists this gun with the marking K.D.III.1. which is correct.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you very Much Don, Now when your Great book sells out, you can do an updated reprint !

Good Collecting, signalman

Although we all pretty much agree on the authenticity of this pistol, I would still like to find out about the other No 1's, and if I was misinformed on the source of these estate pistols that turned up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I came across this thread while looking for info about a similar pistol I'm considering purchasing. It looks to be part of the same series as the pistol shown at the top of this tread as well as the one pictured on page 76 in the HWIS book and referenced on chart 5-10. My question is since they had their own serial number system, what year were these pistols made? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The example that started this thread has features that are consistent with examples made in the mid 1920s. Unfortunately due to the unique serial number range the year cannot be definitively stated. The pistol you are looking at should have a similar grip strap marking ending with the serial number.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts