Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7,583 Posts
Windage adjustment can only be made with the front sight. The rear sight adjustment is for fine tuning elevation only. Jerry (lugerholsterrepair) is correct that it is easy to break an adjustment tool since the pins are so small. That, and the fact that the front sight may have been happily sitting in its present position for most of a century and may be reluctant to budge.
Looking at your photo of the front sight, it is apparent that someone has adjusted, or attempted to adjust, the front sight at some time. The small holes are a little burred and out of round. That could be why it is off so much at 25 yards. If you must shoot it and really want to adjust the sight, you need to get a sight adjustment tool to preclude further injury to the adjustment screw. I would also recommend soaking the screw and front sight with oil for several days before attempting any adjustment to break up any accumulated oxidation and crud. Make sure the gun is well secured from moving around and the barrel is lying on a firm surface. Apply firm downward pressure on the tool to preclude slipping out of the holes. If you cannot turn the adjustment screw in either direction with reasonable force, I would recommend giving up the attempt and leave this nice weapon as is. But in the final analysis, it is your gun and you can do with it whatever pleases you.

One additional thought that may sound a little goofy. If perchance it is also shooting a bit low, by elevating the rear sight with the slider, it will also move the impact point to the left. This is because there is a built in adjustment of the rear sight that cams it off to the left as it is elevated. This is done to offset the drift of the bullet at longer ranges due to the right-hand twist of the bore. I don't know if you can move it enough to bring the windage back to center without having to hold too much Kentucky elevation to compensate.

If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

· Registered
7,583 Posts
While you were posting your message, I was composing an addition to mine. I should have just made a new post but check it out. Don't know if you were aware of this rear sight feature.

If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.