Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,539 Posts
Lloyd, Are you rich or insane? Shooting a 1915 Artillery....Well, since you have a lot of money I will make this suggestion; I don't believe you can adjust the sights enough to compensate for a nine inch adjustment at 25 yards. They just won't move that far over. You need a tool to move the sights unless you are quite the machinist. There are two incredibly small pins inserted into a small diameter rod that make this tool. They are fragile too since they are so small and you can easily break the tool by trying to crank over a sight that has come to a stop. They are often seen on eBay or I am sure you can buy one from Ralph, Randy Bessler, or Bob Simpson or maybe Tom Heller.

If you want a good shooter LP-08 you could easily trade for one and have some spare change left over and preserve this fine example for posterity but I am not sure it is wise to run a caseload of ammunition through that 1915 pistol. It's a purty one! Hate to see it broken...Jerry Burney

lugerholsterrepair

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."

11,539 Posts
Lloyd, I forgot to mention that I have a 1917 Artillery that shoots about the same place and I have never gotten the sights adjusted because they won't go that far. It just shoots that far off.

Ron has a good tip though about raising the rear sight although I am not sure it could help that much!

Glad to hear you are retiring the old soldier once again, 1915's are not all that common. I really love to shoot the Luger with a stock....Quite the weapon! Good Luck and I also forgot what Ron said...it's yours so do with it what you will. Jerry Burney

lugerholsterrepair

11,539 Posts
Bob, You may be right..The rear sight may be able to be drifted over. I have two Artillery's but have never really looked closely at the rear sight and how it is affixed. This is a possible remedy.

As far as shooting your valuble collector pieces, go right ahead. Smoke em if you got em... I have many I shoot and many I do not. I am a collector and a shooter but an investor as well. I see no reason to risk a valuble historical artifact when I have one just like it that is a shooter and if a part breaks I won't be out a thousand bucks. Money comes more easily to others perhaps but I work hard for mine and it's not just the money. I feel we all have some responsibility towards preserving these rare pistols. I am not saying don't ever shoot them, I am saying we should be careful to preserve what little is left. They are disapearing at an alarming rate. Pieced out and sold on eBay. When one gets hold of an Imperial 1st issue altered or a 1915 Artillery is it prudent to go out to the range and blast away a couple hundred rounds? Like I say, you own it but in my opinion it is a poor choice of preservation. But that's just me. Jerry Burney

lugerholsterrepair

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.