Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking at some photos of a "mixmaster" 1915 dated Luger this evening and am puzzled. The proof eagle on right receiver is definitly Erfurt but the 1915 date throws me. I am of the impression that Erfurt did not produce a 1915 date. Plus another puzzle is the top front receiver, it has the cut for the LP.08 tangent sight. One other bit of info, right receiver Has E/HZa???
Oh, toggle assembly is DWM.

help,

VIS
Francis

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
oh, you are right Francis, they didn't make a 1915 erfurt... which posting is this one?

Okay, re-read what you wrote. From what I understand that you will see erfurt markings on far right, and it is unsure if they were refurbed or what. Somewhere Jan wrote some comments about it, let me go look.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ed,

Will forward a link to you for the photos I have been looking at. Owner of the pistol in question just got it and is not knowledgable about Lugers. He was just looking for opinions about his new "shooter grade" pistol, this is his first Luger.

VIS
Francis

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
VIS35
The Luger in question is a mixed parts Nazi Era rework. The notable part is the receiver. It is dated 1915 and cut for an artillery sight. The acceptance stamps on the right receiver are C/H C/S C/S. This sequence of the acceptance stamps (C/H C/S C/S) is typically DWM and has been observed on 1915, 1916 and 1917 dated DWM manufactured Lugers. Based on the list of Erfurt acceptance stamps on page 289 and 290 of Costanzo this sequence is not reported on Erfurt Lugers. The test proof is Erfurt. This is the first 1915 dated receiver (cut for an artillery sight) reported with this combination of DWM style acceptance stamps and Erfurt style test proof.

Download Attachment: 1916DWMACP.jpg
37.46 KB
Figure 1. 1916 DWM with C/H C/S C/S sequence of acceptance stamps (also Erfurt style test proof on barrel). This sequence of stamps has been observed on DWM Lugers dated 1915, 1916 and 1917 and has not been reported on Erfurt Lugers. (Note: please examine your Erfurts to see if this sequence of stamps is also found on some Erfurts.)

I would suggest that this is a DWM manufactured receiver (indicated by the acceptance stamps) that bears an Erfurt style test proof. The inspectors were government officials and sometimes worked in more than one plant. Erfurt style test proofs are reported on the breech block and barrels of some DWM manufactured Lugers(for more information see the link below).
Jan

* ERFURT PROOFS ON DWM LUGERS Jan C Still
------------------------ http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=595

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of curiosity, checked the acceptance and proofing on the DWM 1917 P.08 I recently acquired. Sure enough has C/H C/S C/S and DWM eagle proof on receiver and has Erfurt eagle proof breech block and barrel. Serial 6145 no letter suffix.

Jan and others, thanks for taking the time to send emails and post comments on the unusual receiver markings.

VIS
Francis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.