Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Holster for my 1916 DWM.The Holster is black inside and out excellent shape and marked GEBRUDER RUST 1915.There is some letters below the date but can not make them out.All the leters are inclosed in a circle. The holster has no traces of brown,and does not appear to have been dyed,at a later date.
Was this holster issued Black,and for who?thought most WWI holsters were Brown. It also came with a Mag wooded bottom and tool in the holster flap.Thanks for any info you could give me.

Horse Gunner

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,454 Posts
Horse gunner, This holster would have been made in a brown color originally. No holsters were dyed on the inside except for the back liner panel. It was undoubtably an Army issue holster.
I cannot tell you about the letters in a circle without seeing it...Jerry Burney

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry
Could this holster have been dyed black for issue in WWII.Were there any WWI german Units that had black holsters.Have seen one other holster that is black with 1916 DWM posted 09/05/2003 Harry.
His pistol was captured WWII in FRANCE 11 jULY 1944.bATTLE OF THE FALAISE GAP.Was looking to match my pistol,with a holster from the same time frame.My 1916 ser no4585 also has 72.R.1.7. on the back strap as stated in previous forum.Any way thanks for the info. Having fun finding out all the info on the Pistol and holster

Horse Gunner

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,454 Posts
HG, The directive from the heereswaffenampt was to change the color of German Army holsters from brown to black. Previously all German Luger holsters were in shades of brown and burgandy or cordovan. None were black unless they were commercial. This was ARMY.To my knowledge there were no German Army holsters in WW1 that were black and certainly no units required them. Imperial Navy Military Holsters were made black.

The Luftwaffe and Police were not under the same restrictions as the Army so you will see many holsters that are brown even from the WW2 era. Even many brown WW2 Police.
Hope this helps, Jerry Burney

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info,are there any dates aprox when they were dyed black.Also what is a good book to buy ref Lugers?Having just retired after 38 yrs CDN Army have lots of time to read a good book.

Horse Gunner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.