Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw posted by Simpson's, they have a 1916 dated navy for sale which is not on Norms Navy List. i cant see anything wrong with it, the finish is somewhat rough and the #'s on the mag I'm not too sure about but the price seems cheap too me given the prices of some of these firearms lately. The item # on their site is C52461. If anyone can see any red flags please point them out, I'm not looking to buy this I just am trying to educate myself more on Navy's.
Jim

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi Jim,
Simpson's listing is somewhat confusing since they list it as a 1906 Navy when it is, as you correctly describe it, a 19i6. My notes on 1916 Navy #4792 read: " Well worn original condition, the "matching number magazine" is an obvious fake".
This is a very recent listing and will appear in the 2022/23 Navy List, to be published this September.
Regards, Norm

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I figured that Simpson’s description was a typo and yes Norm is absolutely right the mag is obviously not authentic so why I wonder wouldn’t they at least claim it was a forced match mag aren’t they supposed to be Luger experts? The finish is worn but I thought honest wear. I think overall a nice Navy. Seem like you very seldom see a 1916 for sale.
Jim

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a thought about this one as well. If the frame, barrel extension, etc. are well worn as you've noted; how does the barrel on that pistol survive without any "bloom" at the muzzle or much of any other noticeable wear?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi Rich,
I spent very little time studying this gun, once I saw that force matched magazine and the overall condition I was out of there so to speak. I revisited the site today and I really think Simpson is getting a little lax. there appear to be lots of photos of this gun but it's actually two of everything, like a virgin's trousseau, as the old saying goes. None of these photos are sharp enough to show detail, certainly not enough to show barrel serial halos. Anyway, it's all academic now, the gun appears to be sold.
Norm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts