Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1916 DWM Luger, in fair condition, which I hope is the first of many. The serial number is 9977 and I am curious to know how the serial numbers were chosen. Was it the 9977th gun manufactured in Berlin in 1916? Is it possible to find out to whom it was issed? Are Nazi era Lugers in more demand than WW1 pistols? I paid $1,000.00 for the pistol, holster and an extra clip, was the price in the ballpark or did they see this neophyte a mile away? Any help sis appreciated!

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hey Dave, welcome to the forum. Photos are of primary importance. It' very difficult to evaluate anything without seeing it. The price is'nt way out of line, depending on the actual condition of the Pistol , holster , and magazines. Whether the pistol is all matching, as well as the magazines. Whether there are any markings and what they are, on the holster and pistol. Try to post some photos. There are alot of members who can help, and will. "Fair condition" does'nt give us much to go on. As far as Nazi Lugers being more in demand than WWI? Interest in the Nazi "mystic", seems to be alittle more fervent than with earlier pieces. It depends on your specific interests. I would probably trade two nice Nazi Lugers for one nice WWI or Weimar era (1919-1933) unit marked Luger. Others here, could'nt run fast enough to trade the other way. Still others would'nt own anything made after 1906 or earlier.
It's whatever wiggles your ears!(or any other protrusion you choose):D
Ron

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Guns were made and then serialized in WW1 in groups of 10k. So, the first 10,000 were no serial number, i.e. 1, 2, 3, up to number 10,000, the next 10k were with an "a" so 1a, 2a ... 3456a, and then 10,000a and up. There is probably a "suffix" under the number on the front of the frame.

It is virtually impossible to know to whom it was issued unless the gun was captured, or if there are some records that list the serial number. This second possibility is very remote.

Ed

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
If they came with a gun, you would have them, or if someone sells some on e-bay. I have a couple I picked up, but they have nothing to do with any guns I have except timeframe.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.