Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I have a 1916 DWM with an unusual looking barrel. While the barrel and all parts are matching, I can tell that the front sight has been repaired in the usual fashion with a drilled out sight band added on with solder. But my question regards the dimple in the back end of the barrel below the numbering. It is also slightly flattened under the "R 548". Is this typical for this gun. I can't say that I've seen this before. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Your Luger was originally a LP08 (Artillery) and has had the barrel turned down/re-contoured as well as having the front sight repaired. The dimple and flattening are the remnants of the base for the adjustable rear sight.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Are you able to show us the rest of the pistol? Usually when things like this were done it was on pistols reworked for the police. There may be unit markings on the front grip strap as well.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Are you able to show us the rest of the pistol? Usually when things like this were done it was on pistols reworked for the police. There may be unit markings on the front grip strap as well.
What Ron said, the police had nothing to do with this one. JB

·
Registered
338 Posts
What Ron said, the police had nothing to do with this one. JB
You know that for sure? I have seen some odd stuff pop up on the police pistols. They seemed to re-use a lot of stuff. A shot of the sideplate will tell for sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's that side plate pic you asked for. No unit markings on this one. Thanks for the info. guys. I assume there are various reasons for modifying the barrel including damage, Treaty of Versailles etc. What's the most common reason?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Added pics below. I wish that they'd left the rear sight on, as I kinda like the looks of others I've seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts