Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If possible would like some info on the following pistol 1916 DWM luger cal 9mm Ser no 4585 all part numbers match.Under the ser number on the frame and barrel is a letter which looks like a written small L or maybe a E. Stamped on the pistol grip is 72.R.1.7. On the right side of the upper reciever are four proof marks .The first has a leter I can not read the next two have crown,with what appears to be a writen D under the crown next is what may be a bird with spead wings. The pistol is in very good condition and prints a one inch group 15 yds shooting CDN mil 9mm ammo. Have to get a camera and send photo. Thanks for any info you can send me

Horse Gunner

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Horse gunner you have what sounds like a unit marked 1916 DWM luger. The serial number would be 4585 l (or e). The unit mark I will decipher when I can dig my book out. Unit marked 1916s are fairly rare and I would be cautious about shooting it. UNit marked P08s have appreciable value even in conditions showing their use. With a unit marked pistol is is possible to trace some of the history of the unit and associate it with campaigns your luger possibly served in. The marks on the reciever you describe are Inspectors acceptance marks applied by Imperial Army inspectors at the DWM factory as the accepted various phases of the assembly. The eagle is the proof firing acceptance. You should find a similar eagle on the barrel.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to pictures

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
horse
Excellent information from Heinz.
1916 DWM sn 4585L(or e ??) 72.R.1.7. which signifies 72nd Infantry Regiment 1st Company, weapon number 7. During World War I the 72 Infantry Regiment was part of the 8th Infantry Division and battled on the Western Front. Following are some rough notes (made long ago)from "Histories of 251 Divisions of the German Army Which Participated in the War 1914-1918"

8th Division, 4th Army Corps, 1st Army
1914 BELGIUM, LOUVAIN(AUG. 19), BRUSSELS(AUG. 20), SOLESMES(AUG. 26),
1914 FRANCEAISNE, CUFFIES, CHAVIGNY, PASLY, ARRAS(OCT.)
1915 FRANCE,SOUCHEZ FRENCH ATTACKS, BATTLE OF LOOS COUNTER ATTACK HEAVY LOSSES (SEPT. OCT.)
1916 FRANCE SOMMEPOZIERES-LONGUEVAL-BOISDEVILLE, HEAVY LOSSES
1917 LOOS, SERIOUS LOSSES FROM BRITISH RAIDS.
1917 VALUE ALWAYS ON THE DEFENSIVEAFTER 1914, HELD ITS POSITIONS WITH TENACITY, DEFENDED ITSELF WELL IN ATTACK
1918 BATTLE OF LYS CAPTURED MERVILLE(APRIL 11),
1918 YPRES (MAY 15-JULY 1),
1918 LE CATELET (SEPT 23) VENDHUILE, GUISE, MAULDE
FIRST CLASS DIVISION

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info,on the Pistols History. Living in Canada these lugers in time will be destroyed,as they fall under the legal barrel lenght,and are grandfathered to the owner and can only be sold to those who have a grandfather lic.New gun owners can not obtain a lic to own guns with barrels four inches or under. Free Country? I think not. God Bless the USA.

Horse Gunner

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All guns in Canada must be Registered,rifles shot guns and hand guns,It has cost the tax payer Millions of dollars,and the system does not work. The bad guys do not register their weapons,also there is a long list of guns that have been banned.Also guns with barrel lenght under four inches. Under this law a lot of high end guns,are destroyed by the police daily. From four inch Colt Pythons to Lugers if a lic buyer is not found,estate guns are being turned in to the goverment to be crushed.They have tried to change the law but not yet. Keep your NRA.
Horse Gunner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.