Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i will tell you i don't know much about lugers. I bought one about 30 years ago and would be interested if some one could tell me something about it. It has 1916 and dwm on the top. Below the barrel it has a crown followed by N and the #653( i think). the left side just has the serial #'s which seem to match on all parts of the gun. on the right side are 4 symbols which are a crown with a fancy 36 (??) below it, a crown with a 6 below it followed by another the same then an eagle with it's wings spread. below the trigger guard on the handle is S W and what looks like a picture of the sun. It has a dark leather holster with the spare clip and the inside flap of the holster has been blacked out. the serial # of the gun is 8828 and the matching clip has a + sign below the serial #. It also has black/brown plastic checkered grips. If there is anywhere else to find markings please let me know. I'm assuming there is nothing special about it but if there was i'd get rid of it before my government in Canada gets their hands on it once i'm gone. The barrel is only 31/8" long which makes it a prohib. slated to destroyed. thanks for any help

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Bill, welcome to the forum!

The 1916 is the year of manufacture, and the DWM is the name of the company, Deutches Waffenfabrik Manufacturer (that is close, but not precise).

The front of the gun should have the serial number, and probably a suffix also, a "b", "d" or some other letter just under it.

Many pictures would help us, in helping you.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Ed, what were you drinking when you wrote this? <grin>
Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken A.G. is the full and correct name :)

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Well, I can tell some, the full right and left, can you take a picture in direct sunlight, a bit clearer?

It is a DWM (like Vlim said :D), made in 1916. The unit marking, I am unsure, although the sunburst star looks more like a post WW2 marking than pre-WW2?

The holster is probably a P38 holster, you can see how the spare magazine does not fit well?

What markings are on the magazines?

It appears to be a east german or russian used gun (after WW2), the time frame doesn't match all the imports that came in. Did you get it when you were stationed over seas?

Ed

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
It is an East German VOPO. The sunburst stamp, grips and holster are the indicators. The "Sunburst" is the EG Police acceptance stamp. The holster is a copy of a softshell P.38 redesigned for an EG Luger. There should be an ink stamp number on the back of the side flap with a date. I would guess the value to be in the $500-$600 range.

Ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. At least i know what i have now. I bought it in Alberta Canada in about 1975. It is in great shape and has been stored in a safe for the 30 years i owned it. How do you suppose it would end up in Canada during that year when russia was still going strong? Is there any way i can tell anything from the serial number? 8828. thanks Bill

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
no, as the serial number is from 1916.

Probably bought by a service member from some East German released guns (they needed cash or something).

Purely a guess, but I am pretty sure the east germans quit using most lugers longer than 30 years ago.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
For goodness sakes, no! That "reproduction" line is my "signature" and is a joke. It is on all my posts. I collect imperial era Lugers, so I jest that any Luger made after that time is a repro! Sorry for the confusion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whew. you had me worried there for a minute. So if the gun was used by the east germans, it is worth less? There is nothing i can check about its previous history?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Bill, It has lost collector value because it has been reworked by the East Germans. It's not in it's original issued condition. The first thing they did was 'Hot Dip" them. Dunked them in a tank of chemical hot bluing. So the finish is not original. And the grips were replaced with the plastic grips. And then it has the police "sunburst" stamps.

On the up side. You have the complete Rig, holster,etc. Some collectors are speculating that nice clean examples will soon have their own collectable catagory. So it still is'nt a bad pistol to hang onto. In fact I know a couple of high end collectors who are buying up the better VOPO and Russian pieces to fill a gap in their collections.

A few years ago you could'nt give away a 1920 stamped double date or a 1921 police. Now they are commanding top dollar.
If it's a Luger it ain't cheap. Even nickle plated "pimp guns" are going for $350-$450.

Other Ron

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Bill, Just a thought on where it came from. During the 50s & 60s lots of VOPOs deserted to the West. This could be a rig that was confiscated from one of them. And brought back by some GI who was stationed on the border.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Hi Ron,

The arms trade is a very interesting, and a most a-political enterprise. Many East-German lugers were sold for much needed hard cash during the 1960s and 1970s. If a buck could me made, the iron curtain was not as tight as some people think.....

I do agree that the VoPo should be part of a serious Luger collection and that a complete VoPo rig should be worth more than just 'shooter' or 'parts' value. The holsters can still be purchased as new old stock today. I own a pristine, 1961-batch holster identical to this one. In fact, the blackened part on the inside of the flap will most probably hide a rubber stamped date and 4-digit maker's code.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.