·
Registered
950 Posts
Hello taudelt,
the hard to read stamp means:

ROBERT WEIMER&CO.
MÜLHEIM-RUHR

It's the maker's stamp.
Mülheim is close to Düsseldorf and Ruhr indicates the local river to distinguish the different towns in Germany with the name Mülheim.

·
Registered
98 Posts
quote:Originally posted by taudelt

Having so much fun with the last one that I thought I would throw another on. My assumption is that this would stand for the 3rd Battery of the 6th Artillery Regiment and weapon #15.

Download Attachment: MVC-057S.JPG
30.5 KB
Taudelt,

III./A.R.6.15. = III.Abteilung preussisches Artillerie Regiment Nr.6 Waffe Nr.15.

Klaus

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Taudelt :

Abteilung would translate as "Battalion" instead of "Battery". In the US artillery a battery is the equivqlent of an infantry platoon, usually 3 guns. A Batallion consists of a number of companies, with 12 guns in a company.

Hopefully Klaus may educate us on the size of an Imperial Abteilung (battalion) formation.

Klaus, thanks in advance

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by Heinz

Taudelt :

Abteilung would translate as "Battalion" instead of "Battery". In the US artillery a battery is the equivqlent of an infantry platoon, usually 3 guns. A Batallion consists of a number of companies, with 12 guns in a company.

Hopefully Klaus may educate us on the size of an Imperial Abteilung (battalion) formation.

Klaus, thanks in advance[/quot

Heinz,

this is a Weimar artillery regiment not Imperial.
As per the Versailles Treaty, each Inf.-Div. was allowed to have 1 artillery regiment which consisted of 3 Abteilungen with 3 batteries each (1 battery = 4 cannons). The regiment was equipped with a total of 24 cannons (7.7 cm) and 12 howitzers (10.5 cm).
The cavalry regiments consisted of 1 Abteilung with 3 batteries each
= 12 cannons.
Strenght of artillery battery : 6 officers, 120 men.
Strenght of reitende (horse drawn) battery : 5 officers, 126 men
Strenght of Ausbildungsbatterie (training battery) : 4 officers, 116 men.

Klaus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.