Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you who have gone to the Southeastern NAPCA shows and have been to my Troveroom have seen this piece in person.

Many years ago I was gifted this piece by a WW2 Vet who had picked it up and kept it in his office as a Rural Vetenerian for years. When he was getting on in years and knew his days were short he wanted both of his bringback pieces to be appreciated and taken care of. I was the fortunate benefactor. I had never seen an Erfurt 17/30 Double date and I showed it to Charles Kenyon who so he said had only seen one other........He offered no explanation other than to say it was a correct gun with weird markings. Has anyone else encountered this variation??

Any ideas as to why the 1930 date??

Derek.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Derek. Welcome to the board. If you are posting picture they are not coming through. Often this is due to having the wrong suffix after the "." in the file name. I think there are instructins in the help section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heinz- I have not yet posted the jpegs but will hopefully this weekend.

Derek.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Derek, the 1930 mark is curious, the only thought I would have is that the 3 is next to the 2 in the box of stamping dies. Many years ago when I worked in a metal shop we had sets of these dies in blocks arranged 3 holes 4 holes and 3 holes. Almost all the workmen, many old germans, arranged the dies from 1 through 9 with zero last. A few would put them in beggining with zero first rating an ocassional "Ach Schei**" if you got ahold of one of their blocks. Other than this pure hypothesis I have no idea or real knowledge on the 1930 stamp,

·
Administrator
15,084 Posts
Heinz, I would swear I have read of "another" 1930 stamped Luger? And not Derek's?

Although I might be thinking of the 1920 being placed on later, i.e. nazi guns...

Also, were the date stamps, stamped individually, i.e. each die was a seperate number)? Or all at once with say, (i.e. a four digit all together die) 1920 or 1918 etc., date stamp die?

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jan and Heinz- I have tried to send the jpeg on the 17/30 to the forum but for some reason it was not getting thru. I will forward it direct to Jan's email and let him post it..........remember, in those days anything could have happened.......when I asked the Vet who gifted it to me about it and looked at me and smiled and asked if the German soldier who he took it from knew it was strange....>> I guess he was telling me who the hell cared back then.........Let me know your opinions when you view the pic.

Derek.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Interesting. The "1930" appears to be stamped over some previous marks or attempted stampings but I can't tell what. Unusual to say the least.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Derek, this gets curiouser and curiouser. I am assuming you would have mentioned if an old stamping had been ground off, and it does not appear to be the case from the photo.

If these marks are NOT the result of a ground off section then they would appear to be attemps by the mechanic to align the individual stamps. I believe the relative vertical placements of the 1 and 9 and the horizontal placement of the 3 and 0 support the probability of individual stamping.

I also believe (think, guess) that the extra marks are feom aligning the base of the one, the 9 ad am not sure of the others. Stamping dies are typically square and several time the size of the number. If you are not using an alignment jig, you 'eyeball the alignment. Some mechanics will make a very light marking to establish if they need to change their hold of the stamp. This may be what happened here {or may not!}

It does bring back to mind some of my first experiences with the stamping dies. Never did get really good with those things.

Great picture. It demonstrates the hard times of the Heer in the Weimar Republic with making do with what was available being the rule. So much more interesting than an unused pristine example.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heinz- I did put the piece under daylight and halogen light with a loupe when I first got it..........I could not tell on either account that any other stamping was previously done. If I had not been gifted it by the Vet. who brought it back I would have been suspect too.
The guns overall conditon with about 65% and came in a reworked WW1 holster. The "Doc" was attached to the 30th Div. and liberated this from a Grenadier along with his soldbuch and dogtag. So, I know who the last man was to carry it and what he looked like..not a crack trooper and not a pristine piece..........just a grunt doing his job and Doc was doing his. Glad the markings drew some curiosity. Let see if anyone else comes up with another........Derek.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,230 Posts
Derek, I'm sure that I saw one at a Virginia gunshow some five years ago.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
George- If you in fact saw one........you should have bought it........then we would have had the only 2 ..........Derek.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.