Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1917 dated P08 made by DWM. It appears to be all numbers matching except for the Mec-Gar mags it came with and the grip panels, which don't appear to be numbered. I was told that it was a Police gun, but I'm not sure about that. I took some pictures of various things while I have it all apart. Sorry it's so oily, but I dunked the parts in a bath of motor oil after I took them out of the sonic cleaner and sprayed them off with WD-40. The things I am particularly interested in knowing is what (if any) parts should actually be straw colored, and what the stampings on the front of the frame grip translate to mean. Also, the markings on the right side of the slide. Are those all Imperial proof marks?
Tool Household hardware Auto part Wood Bicycle part
Wood Rectangle Font Hardwood Wood stain
Tints and shades Electronic device Gun accessory Metal Font
Font Cylinder Tints and shades Bicycle part Office supplies
Tints and shades Cylinder Metal Font Carmine
Material property Office supplies Wood Tints and shades Writing implement
Wood Metal Bicycle part Nickel Cylinder
Grey Wood Font Blade Fashion accessory

Tints and shades Gun accessory Fashion accessory Metal Titanium

· Registered
2,796 Posts
I'll answer the unit mark question on grip strap. 93 Regiment 5 Company weapon # 10. Unit marks are not that common after 1916 after the Germans were ordered to stop doing it. But some units did it anyway.

· Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for letting us see you Luger. I have a 1917 Police Luger, which has the sear safety. If I am looking at your photo correctly your gun does not have the sear safety. Maybe your gun was taken out of the police force before the Nazis came into power, or maybe your gun is not a Police gun.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The police gun part came from the gun dealer I bought it from. I had my reservations as to the true story behind that, but I wanted to see how the markings played out. So would it be fair to assume that this was a WWI bring back? I am coming to that conclusion based on it being numbers matching (except for the mags and having no numbers in the grips), the fact that it isn't overstamped with the 1920 rearsenal, and that there are no nazi markings on it, indicating to me that it made it out of Germany prior to the nazi party coming to power in the 30's. Thoughts?

· Registered
39 Posts
I picked up a 1917 dated P08 made by DWM. It appears to be all numbers matching except for the Mec-Gar mags it came with and the grip panels, which don't appear to be numbered. I was told that it was a Police gun, but I'm not sure about that. I took some pictures of various things while I have it all apart. Sorry it's so oily, but I dunked the parts in a bath of motor oil after I took them out of the sonic cleaner and sprayed them off with WD-40. The things I am particularly interested in knowing is what (if any) parts should actually be straw colored, and what the stampings on the front of the frame grip translate to mean. Also, the markings on the right side of the slide. Are those all Imperial proof marks? View attachment 689068 View attachment 689069 View attachment 689073 View attachment 689074 View attachment 689075 View attachment 689076 View attachment 689077 View attachment 689078
View attachment 689071
So COOL! Love that making that looks like script. Thank you for sharing- can't wait to see the totally assembled pistol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts