Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated before I'm a new member to this site and the books I have
for reference are approximately 30 years old. Maybe some new information has appeared since then. I purchased this Naval Luger 20 years ago with a Type II trommel drum for $1700. I will describe it as follows: Chamber 1917, Serial No. 3258 on bottom of barrel & front of
frame, 5.89" barrel length, 1917 stamped on left front sight base & left side of frame, small Crown 'M' on bottom of barrel, larger Crown on left side of barrel, small Crown & (2) Larger Crown 'M's on left side of receiver, 100-200 meter rear sight, 95% condition. Slight pitting on front sight & right front side of frame.
Included with the purchase were: board stock with brass disc stamped (W.D.246), black top flap holster (no magazine pouch) with sling 85% condition, takedown tool with Crown 'M', ziz-zag brass cleaning rod, 'GERMANY' stamped on left side of receiver in the area where the proofs are. Wood bottom magazine with circular rings No. 3258.
Is this authentic or can anyone give me any updated information?
Bill
Here are the photos

Download Attachment: DSC00199.jpg
101.87 KB

Download Attachment: DSC00201.jpg
48.85 KB

Download Attachment: DSC00204.jpg
81.32 KB

Download Attachment: DSC00206.jpg
67.2 KB

Download Attachment: DSC00207.jpg
84.77 KB

Download Attachment: DSC00209.jpg
64.25 KB

Download Attachment: DSC00212.jpg
71 KB

Pete
You requested photos of this 1917 Navy rig back on 02/20/05 and I now feel that it is complete....not completely matching are the Navy magazines.
New photos are attached.
I would appreciate any questions, commemts or opinions either negative or positive on this rig by the forum members also.
17 photos attached.

1- Left side

Download Attachment: 174 - 1914 DWM Navy 1917.jpg
131KB

2- Acceptance stamps

Download Attachment: 175.jpg
81.22KB

3- Right side

Download Attachment: 176.jpg
136.84KB

4- Left side - Part number stamping

Download Attachment: 177.jpg
151.9KB

5- Bottom of locking bolt & side plate

Download Attachment: 178.jpg
138.53KB

6- Front sight

Download Attachment: 179.jpg
58.53KB

7- Top

Download Attachment: 180.jpg
79.16KB

8- Rear toggle - Back

Download Attachment: 181.jpg
173.6KB

9- Barrel & frame serial numbers

Download Attachment: 182.jpg
108.76KB

10- Bottom of barrel & receiver

Download Attachment: 183.jpg
118.76KB

11- Holster & Navy zig-zag cleaning rod

Download Attachment: 184.jpg
138.44KB

12- Board stock

Download Attachment: 185.jpg
81.91KB

13- Disc in board stock

Download Attachment: 186.jpg
203.12KB

14- Takedown tool

Download Attachment: 187.jpg
80.59KB

15- Two Navy magazines in pouch

Download Attachment: 188.jpg
146.94KB

16- Bottom of three Navy magaines

Download Attachment: 189.jpg
164.21KB

17- Imperial Sea Battalion buckle w/tab & belt

Download Attachment: 190.jpg
179.74KB

Thanks for looking again,
Bill

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Bill

You may be new to this forum but you sure as hell new what to buy regarding the lugers you have collected. This was an excellent buy and your value has increased significantly.

The proofs sound correct on your luger for a 1914 Navy dated 1917.

Question regarding the Crown M proof on the receiver, is the crown set down into the M or is it floating above the M and is the main axle pin (rear of toggle) the large type flange.

The Germany stamp on the receiver may be an export stamp from the 1920's era. This stamp although put on later is one that would have to be checked out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lou & Pete
The two M's are below the two Crown's on the receiver.
Regarding the flange diameter I didn't know there was different flange diameters so I measured
this one. It measures .359. I hope this helps. I really enjoy communicating to guys like you who have knowledge and expertise on Lugers.
Bill

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Bill

We know the M is below the crown but on some examples the Crown can be found slightly above the high points of the M. The correct die stamp for the 1917 will have the crown slightly lower than the top of the M, actually the crown is nesstled down between the v on the M but not to deep.

The difference on the pin and flange is the diameter of the flange size with the rear of the receiver having a step to accomodate the flange on the pin.

Look in the Navy section where I have a post of a navy luger serial 966(a), compare yours to this one and you will see the flange size and photo's to compare.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lou
The crowns are slightly lower into the top of the two M's.
In comparing the flange pin in your photo to my Naval Luger they look the same. Checking other
Lugers that I have I now see that it is a large flange. Hope you come back with more information.
Bill

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Bill...... The Luger gods must like you. A 1917 Navy with a matching mag....... VERY NICE. BTW, the marking on the stock W.D.246 stands for "Werft zu Danzig" or Dockward at Danzig and would have been from the 246th gun they so marked.

·
Registered
14,177 Posts
Hi Bill

Is there a chance that you might be able to post photos of your Navy rig...?

If you need help posting jpegs, you can send them to me and I can post them for you.

p.s. No one mentioned it...but I thought I should...the TM-08 drum magazine is not proper for your Navy luger and should only be with a LP-08 Artillery luger...BATF frowns on this as well...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pete,
I only have pictures that don't clearly define the details which would help.
I have a 1916 Artillery rig complete with period black holster & board stock with Eagle Head stamped on the stock, that is where the trommel magazine is.
Bill

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Tom

You are right, their is something wrong with this. It would have been nice to see the photo's before commenting.

Bill Foefli

Is it possible for you to start a new reply to your topic when you post pictures

,Tom,s good eye has caught a very important aspect in that the crown M should be under the Germany stamp to be authentic.

.This stamp is in question.The 1917 date is also at a slant.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Leo
You are correct and I'm glad you brought that to my attention, then I used a magnet on it and it is steel.
I just assumed it was brass because it was a navy issue.
Thank you
Bill

Tom
The GERMANY stamping not parallel to the surface and in the photo it looks the way you state but when you look at it under 10X magnification you would notice that the GERMANY stamping is not even and it gets less deep as it goes to the right. I hope this answers your question. If not please reply.
Bill

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jim
Thank you for your advice on improving my photos, they were taken indoors with halogen lamps and I did not have much results with them. I take better photos with natural outdoor lighting.
Believe me Jim the GERMANY stamp is above the M and the illusion is because of unparallel stamping.
I looked at the small 1917 frame stamp and it is on a slant. Is there a problem with that ?
Do you want me to try submitting a new photo on the photo in question.
Bill

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.