Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded for a 1917 DWM P08, all matching #'s except for renumbered barrel and a later aluminum bottom mag. It has 2 unit stamps, one being X'ed out. The X'ed out one is So.I. 823, the later one is S.B.(Old mark)15644. As far as I can tell from Jan Still's book on WW1 German pistols S.B. is Seebatallion (naval infantry) but there's no crown/M Naval property mark? I can't find any info on the So.I. either? Any help figuring out these markings is appreciated. What would be an approx. value for it? Thanks

Download Attachment: IM000512.jpg
78KB

Download Attachment: IM000516.jpg
71.72KB

Download Attachment: IM000518.jpg
67.27KB

Download Attachment: IM000519.jpg
87.27KB

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
I believe that your pistol is a police marked Luger, perhaps for the Berlin district of the Prussian state police during the Weimar period.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You state that your pistol was manufactured by DWM, however, the acceptance stamps and proof mark on the right receiver, side plate and takedown lever would indicate that these parts were manufactured by Erfurt. The S.B. marking on the front grip strap is recognized as a police property stamp; Schutzpolezei (municipal police) Berlin. I am not familiar with the earlier So.I marking, although, I have no reason to believe that is was associated with Kaiserliche or Reichmarine.

Why do you believe that your pistol was manufactured by DWM? Does the number on the front of the frame match that on the left side of the receiver? My gut reaction is that the receiver and frame are not matched. The police stamp on the grip strap would indicate police use, however, there is no indication that the either a sear or mag safety was fitted to your pistol. Need more info.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Navy Gunner
S.B.So.832. signifies: Schutzpolizei Berlin Group Sudost Weapon Nr. 832; which translates to: Municipal Police Berlin Group South (See German Small Arms Markings, page 93)

This was later modified by crossing out the
So.I. 823 and adding a new weapon nr 5644; which leaves S.B.5644;
this now signifies Schutzpolizei Berlin Weapon Nr. 5644.
Jan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jan & Garfield,

Thanks very much for the replies and for telling me what the unit markings mean. I didn't think it was a police issue pistol because there was no sear safety added which I thought was a police requirement. I'll have to pick up a book that covers the various proof and acceptance marking, what book do you recommend?

Download Attachment: IM000521.jpg
73.94KB

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Christopher, The book you would do well to get, is Weimar Lugers by Jan Still, but good luck. We've been told that another edition is due out. Get in line. We've been BEGGING Mr Still. If he was'nt so damn good at what he does. You could find them anywhere. In the mean time, you can still get Third Reich Lugers and Axis Pistols, also by Mr Still, directly from him.I promise you won't be sorry. Look at the header under the Trader Board forum below.

Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.