Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1917 - How bad it can get!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BJD SASS 2548LTG 
#1 ·
This pistol was given to me by a little old lady who said her husband took it from a German pilot, he shot down, in North Africa in WWII. I saw a picture of him in his RAF uniform, so the story does possibly have some truth to it.

As you can see from the photos, it's in pretty bad shape externally,
being very badly pitted almost everywhere. However the bore is in very good shape & it still functions & shoots well. Is it worth refinishing or should it be left as is?

Serial No; 5529 a
No unit markings
Grips & grip screws are new. Originals were in real bad shape.
Magazine marked: FXO - E37 - P08 - No. on base 5352

Download Attachment: Pictures - 14th. 008.jpg
121.64 KB

Download Attachment: Pictures - 14th. 009.jpg
124.74 KB

See less See more
#3 ·
Being as pitted as you say, and what I can see, I would refinish if I wanted it new looking. Collector value is probably close to shooter value to me and so a refinish will not mess anything up in value.

I assume it is a 1917 DWM from the photo and title, and is it all matching? Not meaning to complain, but more info rather than less is always helpful.

Ed

#4 ·
Ed;

Sorry wasn't paying attention when I posted!

It is a 1917 DWM
All parts show 29
Serial No. on bottom of barrel along with 8,83
Standard acceptance marks on right side.

As to refinishing, do you know of anyone in Canada that can
do the job? I don't think I can ship this to the U.S., as it is classified a prohibitive firearm here & Canada is no longer allowing Pistols / Revolvers with 4" barrels, and/or of .25 or .32 caliber, to be imported any longer. Getting the necessary paperwork from both sides of the border would be an impossibilty, I believe. I also believe that your ATF would not allow it in.

#5 ·
That would be a lot of buffing-would not leave much gun in a few spots-some people can fill them but you are talking more than the gun is or will be worth.
I would just shoot it and enjoy it for what it is-history is just somebody's story.
Just my two centz-your call

#6 ·
BJD Sass

Hello, you are incorrect that you cannot export to the USA, the requirements have to be met with the BATF but you would be doing yourself an injustice by exporting a badly pitted luger that would not bring a very good price in the United States or elsewhere for that matter.

It is my opinion and mine alone that the vets that fought and survived the war years to bring back a war trophy no matter what the condition would wish that Canada's historical war trophy's remain in the country of it's soldiers.

The above comment is not intentended to ruffle any feathers but it is my view that we should not be selling out to the highest bidder for the almighty dollar.

Your luger represents a period of time and I agree with MikeP's post

"I would just shoot it and enjoy it for what it is-history is just somebody's story."

Anyway it is yours to do what you desire.

#7 ·
Lugerlou;

No offence taken. I would point out that I only asked if anyone in Canada could refinish the pistol, if I decided to do so. It's not for sale now, nor will it be until it's time for me to pass it on.

I've already shot it & will continue to do so on a restricted basis, so as not to put too much more wear & tear on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.