Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 20 years ago I met a gunsmith/collector that was very motivated to sell off his collection since he was terminally ill. I am a WWII collector and he had a rare unmolested original Jan '42 garand that I wanted badly. To get the garand I had to do a multiple gun deal which included this luger.

The good: all matching including magazine.

The bad?: It is a British capture with british proofs and the word 'GERMAN' stamped into the slide for the one person on the planet that wouldn't know a luger's origin.

The question I have is there collectors that have an interest in british captures? If so, I would like to get it to someone that has more interest in it than I. Thoughts on value?

I apologize in advance for the crappy cell phone photos.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thank you.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Can't give an opinion on value but if I were American the "GERMAN" stamp would put me off no end unless it were cheap or a rare version (or both), the British proof marks far less - that's just part of its history, but I am obviously prejudiced!:) Mike

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
5,317 Posts
The British proofs are not part of the gun's "history", all they mean is that the gun was warehoused in England for a while. The Brit. proofs, the "GERMANY" stamp and US importer marks if present, are all negatives as far as collectors are concerned.
Norm

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've seen a lot of British proofed guns and I've never seen one marked like that. It's almost as if the person who stamped it intentionally did their best to make it glaringly ugly. Perhaps they had a deeply personal reason. I have a British proofed Luger that is nowhere near being defaced like that. The barrel stamps are on the underside and very neat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The British proofs are not part of the gun's "history", all they mean is that the gun was warehoused in England for a while. The Brit. proofs, the "GERMANY" stamp and US importer marks if present, are all negatives as far as collectors are concerned.
Norm
No import marks, this pistol has been in the US a long time...

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen a lot of British proofed guns and I've never seen one marked like that. It's almost as if the person who stamped it intentionally did their best to make it glaringly ugly. Perhaps they had a deeply personal reason. I have a British proofed Luger that is nowhere near being defaced like that. The barrel stamps are on the underside and very neat.
Pretty bold for sure.

Dave

·
Registered
290 Posts
All the British proofed Lugers I've seen have had much more discrete marks than this one, certainly, but the British marks can mean rather more than it just being warehoused here, it's more likely that it was owned legally by someone and could only be transferred or sold in that manner (when we could own these things) if it were proofed here. I agree the marks as a whole are ugly and I'm not saying BP marks are a plus but the normal ones would not put me off. All in all it's value must be seriously affected however. Mike

·
Registered
283 Posts
British Proofing

Discreet British proofing - a dozen years ago, I saved a luger from possible deactivation - estate find UK. It needed to be proofed with certificate before transfer. My request for unobtrusive proofing resulted in the crossed keys only under the grip. You would be hard pushed to find it.
Despite the overzealous stamping, the original finish on your 1918 looks good and with a matching mag too.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the British proofed Lugers I've seen have had much more discrete marks than this one, certainly, but the British marks can mean rather more than it just being warehoused here, it's more likely that it was owned legally by someone and could only be transferred or sold in that manner (when we could own these things) if it were proofed here. I agree the marks as a whole are ugly and I'm not saying BP marks are a plus but the normal ones would not put me off. All in all it's value must be seriously affected however. Mike
Thanks, that is helpful context.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Discreet British proofing - a dozen years ago, I saved a luger from possible deactivation - estate find UK. It needed to be proofed with certificate before transfer. My request for unobtrusive proofing resulted in the crossed keys only under the grip. You would be hard pushed to find it.
Despite the overzealous stamping, the original finish on your 1918 looks good and with a matching mag too.
That is more like it, and a Krieghoff to boot, nice.

So far, my biggest take a way with this discussion is the 'GERMAN' marking on my pistol is exceptional, and not in a good way.

Thank you,

Dave

Dave

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,460 Posts
That monster GERMAN stamped on the side pretty much knocks all collector value out of it. I see it as a quality shooter as long as it runs well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts