Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simpson's has a pretty nice looking 1918 Erfurt Rig FS. The problem is that there is no stock lug. And no Artillery sight notch on the chamber. Says "Minor restoration work". Any ideas as to authenticity?
Armory rebuild?
Ron

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed, I thought it looked like 1914 too. The discription says 1914 dated "1918". So there are several questions raised. Maybe they have the wrong photo? That still leaves the missing stock lug.

Ron

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The profile of the rear grip looks correct for an original no-stock-lug manufacture. Also, if you look at the closeup of the right side of the frame, you will note that a holdopen has been added.

I did some photo manipulation of the chamber dare, too inconclusive to include here, but it appears to look more like 1914 than 1918.

Since this is a Weimar military gun (by the unit mark) there's no telling what might have happened to it between its Imperial decommissioning and its Weimar Army accpetance.

Questions to Simpson's are in order.

--Dwight

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Ron, if it's a 1914 dated Erfurt and Weimar unit marked, ask what minor restoration has been done. If, indeed, it is minor and the pistol was built w/o lug, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

The only problem is that Simpson, for all his personality faults, is no rube.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
George,

The gist of my comment was to indicate that there is no accounting for what kind of period reworking might have been done (i.e. putting together a mismatched uper and lower).

If you are talking about an original 1914 without stock lug, I would run away in a heartbeat.

--Dwight

·
Registered
406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Dwight Gruber

George,
If you are talking about an original 1914 without stock lug, I would run away in a heartbeat.
--Dwight
There are both DWM and Erfurt 1913 dates with stock lugs and DWM and Erfurt 1914 dates without stock lugs. Nothing to run away from if all else is correct. If you can get all for variations, they make a vary interesting display.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
I have always understood that one may find both variations in 1913 and 1914 Erfurts and DWMs. Must agree with Mr Garfield.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
The quote from Imperial Lugers;

1913 DWM:
P.08's delivered after Aug 4th, 1913 were to have the stock lug included.

1914 DWM:
..a few 1914 DWM Lugers in 8000a to 9400a serial range bearing C/X C/X C/X acceptance stamps lack a stock lug...

1913 Erfurt:
P.08's delivered after Aug 4th, 1913 were to have the stock lug included

1914 Erfurt:
Nothing is said about not having a stock lug in 1914 pieces…

Are there other exceptions?

I have to assume then that Imperial has some faulty information in it on Stock Lugs; what should I change or add to Imperial Lugers?

Ed

·
Registered
496 Posts
This is a very nice Weimar Luger rig, that has the holster matched by unit mark to the gun. Not too many of these around.

Simpson supplied a number of good photos of this weapon's offering, but failed to provide one of the area where the stock lug belongs for a Luger manufactured in 1914 [or 1918]. He is fully aware that the stock lug change was during 1913 and if this gun did not have it's lug growned off post war, I believe he would have "highlighted" this unual variation in his offering.

Be careful.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Pete, I contacted them about the "minor restoration". It's been reblued and restrawed. I would think that it would qualify more as a " major restoration". They claim that the lug was not ground off.

Ron

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
I don't like anything about that grip strap marking. Looks like it was done by a jeweler, machinist or smith...not an armorer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.