Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_4256.jpg IMG_4257.jpg IMG_4482.PNG IMG_4484.PNG

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some assistance with identifying the possible unit that these markings represent. These are located on the front grip strap of my 1918 Erfurt Luger. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Nooch

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It is extremely rare for a 1918 Luger to have been marked by the unit to which it was issued. The mark on your Luger doesn't follow military directives either.

My best guess is a post war Weimar era mark, possibly police or para-military but not likely military.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's disappointing, but thank you! Hopefully someone on here will have information on the markings.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
A diagonal slash is characteristic of Reichswehr unit marks. Wacker & Görts lists one unit mark beginning with 11 (eleven, eleventh batterie) and quite a few beginning with II (second battalion). All the other characteristics of the mark are so far out of the ordinary for a unit marking that even a Reichswehr connection is indefensible.

--Dwight

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see this isn’t going to be an easy one! 😂
I do appreciate you guys responding! Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
after blowing up the image to me it appears to be a Reichswehr unit mark of 11/353, with the first "3" being double struck as well as poorly struck. Now what those particular numbers represent I am not sure. They look like an 11 rather than II to me at which point its an 11th division of something. then the gun number. As stated previously Unit marked lugers are scarce. so that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, it does look like it may be a double stamped 3.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for responding everyone. This is turning out to be a lot harder than I initially thought. :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts