Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DWM 9mm luger. Dated 1918. 4" barrel.Serial #2954 and all numbers match. Gesichert on safety. Four symbols on front right side of reciever. 2 matching mags. One mag has small wooden finger piece broken. No loading tool. Minor bluing wear from holster. No apparent scratches or nicks. Original medium brown holster with strap/ not flap and harness. Trying to determine model and value. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a gun thats simlar, 1918. Serial # 9308. 5 symbols on the front right side of receiver, and the letters A and B. On the top it has a "crown' and underneath it says 'ERFURT'. Got this from a neighbor who said his great uncle too it off an officier?
Would like to know the same thing as the guy above me.
Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Benny
If your Erfurt manufactured, dated 1918 Luger has a 3 1/8" barrel, it is not original. Dated Lugers are military and they well made with a 4" barrels. Commerical Lugers come in different barrel lengths, but most common size is the one on your gun. The barrel may have been changed after the Great War, a common practice.

I do not think that a Luger chamber dated in the military fashion, but with a commerical barrel was ever taken off a German "officer".

This barrel replacement may reduce the value of your Luger.

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
Benny, how did you measure the barrel? 3 1/8 is not a common measurement. Try this, ensure it is unloaded, then place a pencil in the barrel, then mark where it is just showing from the barrel.

Now measure the pencil marking.

Ed

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Ewrigs/Benny Blonco

Gentlemen, you both have very common military Po8's one manufactured by DWM and the other an Erfurt manufactured luger. The Erfurt plant was a German state owned manufacturing facility and the DWM plant was a private entity manufacturing the military , commercial and contract variation.

Specific to the Erfurt luger the proofs would be acceptance proofs with the Eagle proof slightly different than the Eagle found on the DWM. You mentioned 5 proofs on the Erfurt, are you including the barrel proof or would that be a crown R/C stamp??

As to the value I will leave it up to my southern neighbours to assess value in US dollars.

The DWM luger however will be worth alot more primarily due to the two matching magazines and holster regardless of percentage of blueing unless rusted and pitted badly.

The DWM plant finished the polishing to a better degree than the Erfurt arsenal so be cautious examining an Erfurt opposed to a DWM.Both are highly collectable in their own right.

The proofs found on the DWM receiver are acceptance proofs also and will be different than the Erfurt due to the accepting authorities of the day.

It is unusuall that the one luger would have two suffix letters or is the A&B on the receiver?? I did not quite understand that point of observation.

Hope information helps and if you take the time to do a search on this forum you will find tons of replies from various members on both lugers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.