Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my first Luger. The Toggle is staped 73 on the bottom side and all other parts seem to be stamped 39. I bought it from the vet who brought it home from WW2. He has not fired it since he has owned it he said. I shot 6 rounds thru her to see if she worked and she did. One of the best shooting pistols I have ever fired:)

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Brian,
Welcome to the forum. Post more photos, and give us some details. Is it dated on the chamber? I guess if I would wait, I would see that you already have. My bad!!!

The holster appears to be Bulgarian.Or at least used to be.A nice police re-work.
Ron

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
Good buy. Police luger.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Let me add my welcome to the board. A couple of thoughts on your Luger and holster. I think the holster is for a Radom (P-35) which was the sidearm of the Polish Army before the Germans overran Poland.

I think based on your pictures it started out as an Erfurt and somehow picked up a DWM toggel. Perhaps that happened when the Police got it and added the sear safety and gave it 2 new matching mags.

I think you did well. Nice gun.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Locking Bolt is missing the round textured "grip" but since it still works and is the original 39 stamped piece I do not want to replace it. Any ideas? Do I replace it and save the original one or leave it as it is?

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Brian, show the area you are talking about? Please include a full left side of the gun. And also, when you say the toggle is marked "73", where is it marked that?

It started life as a 1918 army pistol, then in the 1920's and 1930's it was taken in by the weimar police and issued then.

I can see a sear safety, but can not tell if it once had a mag safety.

Ed

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Is the toggle marked with the last two of the serial number on the top/sides?

And yes, I can see where your locking bolt is broken off! Very odd.

I think I would buy a replacement, and keep the original. Maybe buy two on e-bay, and have someone repair yours?

See the small square of metal on the left, that is a cutout that was either filled in or the metal left in it for a magazine safety. They were almost all taken out in the late 1930's by the nazi's after they decided they weren't workable.

Ed

·
Registered
400 Posts
A very good buy, and two *K mags to boot, I believe it to be correct to have a mix of parts, DWM & Erfurt, with matching SN's produced during this period, nothing was wasted. The only thing wrong with the gun is its not in my collection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.