Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an Imperial 1917 DWM, that was then reworked by the Weimar Police, I have two matching magazines, one is a wooden magazine bottom and an aluminum bottom magazine, both matching to the gun, both are correct for the time period. In addition, it has the sear safety, but never had the magazine safety installed.

Download Attachment: 200383120351_1917mags.jpg
88.56KB

There is an interesting police marking on the butt of the grip that I have researched. Originally it was marked on the grip strap interior, then ground off, and on the butt of the grip is a marking of S.P.D.

grip.jpg

Klaus researched and gave me this information:

S.L.Pol. = Saechsische Landespolizei

K.P.L. = Kriminalpolizei Leipzig

S.P.D. = Schutzpolizei Dresden

Source : Die Pistole 08 by Joachim Goertz, page 231

As an aside, it came with a period holster, and on the inside it is marked S.P.O. with 1136 just under the S.P.O.

{note: I heard of two others for sale, all marked in the same area of the grip strap, most police markings are marked on the interior or exterior of the grip, but was not able to buy either).

Safety on the left side:

1917 left safety.jpg

Right tilt of the gun.

1917 right.jpg

1917 DWM proofs and acceptance:

1917 20 DWM proofs.jpg

Ed

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hello, ED:

Nice to be aboard, however, I am already confused.

Your quote. "Originally it was marked on the grip strap interior, then ground off, and on the butt of the grip is a marking of S.P.D."

Do mean that your pistol was originally marked on the front grip strap, these marking were ground off and the new markings stamped on the toe of the front grip strap?

To my point of reference, "interior" usually indicates the 'inside' of something. 'Butt', for some reason, conjures up a picture of the lower rear of something. The markings shown in your picture seem to show the markings applied to the lower portion, or the 'toe', of the front grip strap. If the stampings were on the rear grip strap in that position, I would say they were, then, stamped on the butt of the rear grip strap.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garfield, you are correct, I tried to "cut and paste" from the previous posting on the old forum, but it sounds confused.

There is evidence that some kind of marking, probably Imperial unit marking was applied to the grip strap, and it has been ground off and then reblued. The marking on the toe of the grip is the marking you and I referred to. Thanks for having me provide a clarification.

Ed

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Nice pistol Ed, I must have missed the original post. Is this the original finish?

regards, heinz

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This one is probably original finish, although some were refinished when they went through the police armory.

Ed

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts