Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED HELP IN FINDING OUT WHAT KIND OF LUGER I HAVE.
IT HAS TWO DATES ON IT 1920/1920 THE ONLY ONE I HAVE SEEN. IT IS ALL MATCHING . BUT THE SIDE PLATE AND CLIP. SIDE PLATE WAS THE 42 MAUSER WW11 REPLACEMENT CODE. IT DOES NOT HAVE THE SEAR SAFETY. ON THE GRIP STRAP IT HAS THREE SETS OF LETTERS AND NUMBERS.
TWO HAVE BEEN XXX OUT.;
1 S.E.I. 2. 23. XX OUT;
2 S.S. 2. 11.C.23. XX OUT.
3 S.E.1. 23.
IT THIS A POLICE GUN OR A MILITARY ISSUE

IT HAS THE REICHSWEHR STAMP ayay 4 THE SERIAL NR. 4605 N
LUGER IS A DWM 1920/1920
PLEASE HELP ME IN THE HISTORY ON THIS LUGER.
THANKS BOB

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Hello Bob,

The "double" date is a date and a Weimar Property number, not a date at all. I have seen a couple of 1920/1920's, but they are not as common, as say a WW1 Weimar rework. I am unsure of the S.E. or S.S. and do not have access to my books right now.

Welcome to the forum, these guns have lots of history in them.

Ed

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Bob, as you can tell, it is a time period I am interested in, do you have the 1920/1920 available? If so, I'd love to see pictures of it? I can help post pictures if you need help, although it is fairly self explanatory in the Help Section, :)

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Bob
(Please check to be sure that your n is not an a?)
Your 1920/1920 DWM, serial number 4605n, Luger started as a new manufactured 1920 dated alphabet DWM. The “n” is out of sequence when compared to other 1920 dated Lugers. However, another similar 1920 dated Police Luger in the “n” suffix range is shown on page 140 of Weimar Lugers.

Sometime between Sept. 1920 and March 1921 a Reichswehr property stamp in the form of a 1920 was stamped over this Lugers chamber.

The police unit markings were applied according to Prussian State Schutzpolizei orders dated 4-12-1922.
S.E.I. 2. 23. XX OUT signifies Prussian State Schutzpolizei Erfurt, Police Administrative District I, waffe no. 23. (cannot figure out the 2.)
S.S. 2. 11.C.23. XX OUT. signifies Prussian State Schutzpolizei Schneidemuhl, Police Administrative District II, waffe no. 23. (cannot figure out the C.)
3 S.E.1. 23. signifies Prussian State Schutzpolizei Erfurt, Police Administrative District I, waffe no. 23.

Sometime after late 1939 the 42 code side plate was added. It is unusual for a Luger to miss having the sear safety added. It is possible that at some point it was transferred to military service. However, this is not likely because the German police expanded to take occupation duty in the occupied territories.

Near the Wars end many police units battled on the front lines.
Please supply photographs of your interesting Luger.
Jan

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ed, Thank you for all the help. It really has some history to it.Ed I did check out the n as you asked me to and it is a n. 4605n. I will take the pictuers and send them later. The stamps under the n is hard to make out it looks like 8 8 and the third mark I can not make out. Ed I will get back to you as soon as I can Thanks again Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jan C Still

Bob
(Please check to be sure that your n is not an a?)
Your 1920/1920 DWM, serial number 4605n, Luger started as a new manufactured 1920 dated alphabet DWM. The “n” is out of sequence when compared to other 1920 dated Lugers. However, another similar 1920 dated Police Luger in the “n” suffix range is shown on page 140 of Weimar Lugers.

Sometime between Sept. 1920 and March 1921 a Reichswehr property stamp in the form of a 1920 was stamped over this Lugers chamber.

The police unit markings were applied according to Prussian State Schutzpolizei orders dated 4-12-1922.
S.E.I. 2. 23. XX OUT signifies Prussian State Schutzpolizei Erfurt, Police Administrative District I, waffe no. 23. (cannot figure out the 2.)
S.S. 2. 11.C.23. XX OUT. signifies Prussian State Schutzpolizei Schneidemuhl, Police Administrative District II, waffe no. 23. (cannot figure out the C.)
3 S.E.1. 23. signifies Prussian State Schutzpolizei Erfurt, Police Administrative District I, waffe no. 23.

Sometime after late 1939 the 42 code side plate was added. It is unusual for a Luger to miss having the sear safety added. It is possible that at some point it was transferred to military service. However, this is not likely because the German police expanded to take occupation duty in the occupied territories.

Near the Wars end many police units battled on the front lines.
Please supply photographs of your interesting Luger.
Jan
Jan,

the "C" is most likely a provincial district and the "2" is the 2.Hundertschaft (centuria).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Nice Bob, these are great photos. Hopefully Jan or others can comment, I am traveling, so have no books with me.

But sure looks like an "n" to me..

Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.