Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dwight ---- Thanks for your detailed comment above. The receiver on my pistol is stamped "Germany" and the barrel is unmarked. So perhaps the barrel on the pistol was a war surplus item and was installed on the pistol's receiver at sometime after the war was over. The platform the front sight blade is dove tailed into on the 6" barrel is a much taller platform than is normally found on a 4" barrel. That leads me to believe the barrel was produced during war time but wasn't installed on the receiver until sometime during the 1920's. Now if the barrel was installed in Germany in 1920 or if it was installed in the US in 1921 really doesn't make any difference to me, 100 years after the fact. I do appreciate your detailed comments and the time you have taken to "educate" an old [email protected]*% that is nearing the same age as my pistol. Thanks

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
The sight block for a 6" navy barrel is taller than the sight block for a standard P08 to accommodate the taller 2-position navy rear sight.

--Dwight

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes Dwight the taller front sight platform on my pistol's 6" barrel has led me to believe the barrel was produced sometime during WWI and installed on its luger receiver in the 1920's. If the lower front sight platform had been utilized with the two position Naval rear sight, the muzzle of the pistol would have had to be raised so high for a proper sight picture the bullet could have traveled out to 300 meters or more. On my 330 yard. rifle range I have fired the1920 Naval Type Commercial Luger at an old shot up pickup engine hood and hit it . Of course I had the sight set at the 200 meter setting, with a repro stock attached and holding slightly over the hood. The old luger could still do its stuff even at some 90+ years after it was produced. It's a fun piece to play with.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts